Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Spicy Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #1430 at 2:44 pm on Apr 11, 2006
This is in my files, but don't remember if I've made it. My recipe is a newspaper clipping, but I was lucky enough to find it on line. It has several of the ingredients you mention, perhaps you could rework it to your tastes.
Spicy Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
1 cup basmati rice
1 tsp. salt plus additional for seasoning
1 lb. broccoli, stems separated and cut crosswise into 1/4" thick slices or 1 lb. broccoli florets
3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
One 2" piece fresh ginger
2 Tbs. dry sherry or rice wine
2 Tbs. hoisin sauce
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. peanut or canola oil
1-1/4 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders
1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken stock
2 tsp. cornstarch
One 8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts
Prepare the rice according to package directions. With the motor of a food processor running, drop the garlic and ginger down the chute and finely chop. Add the sherry, hoisin, soy, and red pepper flakes. Leave the ingredients in the food processor.
Put the oil in a wok or a 12-inch, nonstick saute pan over medium-low heat. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Raise the heat under the pan to high. Add the chicken, season with salt, and stir. Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes. Stir periodically. Meanwhile, mix the chicken stock and cornstarch in a cup. Add to the food processor and mix.
Add the sauce and drained water chestnuts to the pan. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes, or until the chicken and broccoli are cooked through and the sauce is lightly thickened. (Add a bit more chicken stock or water if the broccoli and chicken aren't done when the sauce has thickened.) Serve over the rice.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1430. ISO: Stir Fried Chicken ? - Sally in CT - 8:54pm on 04/10/06 (8)
- Maybe you could add toasted sesame seeds at the end. - Denice - 9:52pm on 04/10/06
- Add Cashews, sesame oil, chili paste with garlic, oyster sauce [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:12pm on 04/10/06
- Cathy, this is way better than my idea, as - Denice - 10:26pm on 04/10/06
- I always wing my own sauce with the items Cathy suggested thinned w/soy sauce. [NT] - LisainLA - 10:45pm on 04/10/06
- Rec: Spicy Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry - Curious1 - 2:44pm on 04/11/06
- Rec: Szechwan Chicken with Cashews...I love this, it's from an old Betty Crocker International cook - Curious1 - 2:54pm on 04/11/06