Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here's another idea for your Meyers - my Granny's REC: Lemon Cake Pudding
Joined: Dec 20, 2005
Posted to Thread #14173 at 10:24 pm on Mar 18, 2009
Lemon Cake Pudding
If you are looking for some different way to use lemons - here is the fabulous recipe of Granny's:
¼ c. sifted flour
1 c. Sugar
¼ t. salt
1 ½ or 2 T grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
¼ c. lemon Juice (exact)
2 Egg yolks (well beaten)
1 c. milk
2 egg whites (beat until stiff, not dry)
Sift flour before measuring. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat egg yolks, with a whisk, until lemon yellow. Whisk in milk,
lemon zest and lemon juice and when well blended. Mix the milk, etc. into flour and mix until well blended. Fold in the beaten egg whites just until blended. Pour into buttered heat-proof bowl. Place bowl in pan of hot water in 350 F oven. Bake for ~30 minutes. Cake will rise to top of bowl with a brown top and will draw away from the sides of the bowl, slightly.
Cool. Can be served in shallow bowls with the extra "sauce" over the top.
Does not have to be cold.
A word about the name - its really more of a pudding than a cake. Very, very light.
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Other messages in this thread:
- 14173. ISO a great recipe for lemon bread (tea cake type) to use up my Meyers lemons [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 11:54pm on 03/17/09 (15)
- This is the best one I've ever found Luisa- it is T&T Lemon Batter Bread - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:07am on 03/18/09
- I'll try this one when I can get some milk from the store. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 10:22pm on 03/19/09
- Here's my favorite lemon bread from Gourmet - Heather_in_SF - 10:19pm on 03/18/09
- Here's another idea for your Meyers - my Granny's REC: Lemon Cake Pudding - Heather_in_SF - 10:24pm on 03/18/09
- fixed encoding version - pmassell_93 - 12:03pm on 11/29/17
- What shortening do you use? Butter or Crisco? [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 8:38pm on 03/19/09
- Crisco - I've tried it with butter and it has a different texture. - Heather_in_SF - 8:43pm on 03/19/09
- Thanks, I like to use butter flavor Crisco in pie crusts. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 9:24pm on 03/19/09
- I had some buttermilk so I decided to try this recipe first. They are in the oven... - Luisa_Calif - 10:20pm on 03/19/09
- These turned out kind of dry with little lemon taste even though I upped the zest. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 11:40am on 03/21/09
- Pat, From the Barmy Baker Blog - Pierre Herme's Lemon Loaf [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 8:23am on 03/19/09
- Sorry, Luisa, I was thinking of Pat I guess. [NT] - GayR - 8:21pm on 03/19/09
- Thanks for thinking of me, Gay. The irony is I too have a boatload of meyer lemons to use right now. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:29pm on 03/19/09
- thanks everyone. I'll try to get to this this weekend. The marmalade I made was bitter and - Luisa_Calif - 8:42pm on 03/19/09
- Luisa, there are several T&T lemon cakes and breads up in T&T. take a look. [NT] - AngAk - 1:16pm on 03/20/09