Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Marianne

I've made lemon curd with Meyer lemons ONLY, never used any other kind of lemon. My recipe is from

Veteran Member
1535 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #14521 at 12:04 pm on Apr 20, 2009

Damon Lee Fowler's "New Southern Baking" and it has always been spectacular. How does this recipe match up with yours? Note that this one uses 4 yolks. Maybe that's why I had no problem with Meyer lemons. Don't know about the acidity issue.

Lemon Curd

4 ounces (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 to 5 lemons)
4 teaspoons grated lemon zest - or more, to taste
1 cup sugar
salt
2 whole large eggs and 4 large egg yolks

1. Prepare the bottom pot of a double boiler with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer. Put the top pot over direct, medium heat and put in the butter. Barely melt it, and then stir in the lemon juice, grated zest, sugar and a small pinch of salt, stirring until the sugar and salt are dissolved, put it over - but not touching - the simmering water.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and yolks until smooth. Slowly stir them into the butter, and cook, stirring constantly, until quite thick, about 8 minutes. The spoon should leave a distinct path in the curd. The custard continues to thicken as it cools, but won't reach the stiff consistency of a bottled lemon curd until it is cold, so don't overcook it. Remove it from the heat.
3. Keep stirring the curd until it has cooled somewhat and then pour it into another container and let it cool completely. Cover and regrigerate until thoroghly chilled before using.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

My shortcuts are to use a large glass bowl for the top pot, and melt the butter in it in the microwave.

"A brandy for the Chef!"

Other messages in this thread: