Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: A fantastic bean soup . . . Dallas Cowboy Bean Soup . . . courtesy of my Dad . . .
Joined: Dec 20, 2005
Posted to Thread #1543 at 7:54 pm on Apr 21, 2006
RAY’S DALLAS COWBOY BEAN SOUP*
1 LB. DRIED WHITE PEA BEANS, SMALLEST SIZE
3 QTS. WATER
1/4 LB. BACON
1 LARGE ONION
2 CUPS CELERY
1/2 SMALL GREEN PEPPER
1- 1/2 CLOVES GARLIC
1/2 LB. HAM, DICED
1/2 TSP. TABASCO
1 TSP. LAWRY’S SEASONED SALT
1/2 CUP TOMATO KETCHUP
1 TBS. SUGAR
1 TBS. FRESH PARSLEY, CHOPPED
1-1/2 TSP. SALT
1/2 TSP. PAPRIKA
SOAK BEANS OVERNIGHT.
DICE BACON. SAUTE IN SOUP POT 5 MINUTES (LOW HEAT).
PEEL AND CHOP ONION AND CARROT. CHOP CELERY, GREEN PEPPER, AND GARLIC VERY FINE. ADD TO BACON AND COOK UNTIL WILTED. ADD WATER, BEANS, HAM, TABASCO, SEASONED SALT, KETCHUP, SUGAR, PARSLEY, SALT, AND PAPRIKA. BRING TO BOIL AND SIMMER COVERED FOR 2 ˝ - 3 HOURS (OR UNTIL BEANS ARE TENDER.) CORRECT SEASONINGS.
*At the bottom of the recipe, which I add here, Dad wrote: “EAT IT!”
This is a GREAT soup . . . hearty, slightly spicy, and a soup that gets better and better each day! Well worth the time and effort. I try to make it once a year.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1543. ISO: Ham and Bean Soup - Sally in CT - 3:49pm on 04/21/06 (4)
- Why not try the 15 bean soup mixes in the supermarket. - Durward - 3:54pm on 04/21/06
- Ham & Bean Soup - BobbiJoAZ - 5:15pm on 04/21/06
- Rec: A fantastic bean soup . . . Dallas Cowboy Bean Soup . . . courtesy of my Dad . . . - magnoliainchicago - 7:54pm on 04/21/06
- I googled "bean soup mix" and found a bunch of sites for making that gift giving mix. You could [LINK] - AngAk - 4:40pm on 04/24/06