Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Joe

REC: Julia's Slow-cooker Baked Baked Beans

Veteran Member
8082 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #1900 at 8:33 pm on May 17, 2006

While we're on the subject of crock pot recipes, and while I have the book out, these are wonderfully easy. Dry beans are used without soaking them first, and it cooks overnight. I make them the day before for barbecues, and then only have to make coleslaw and get burgers and hot dogs together the day of.

A 2-inch cube of salt pork (6 to 8 ounces)

Cut the pork into 3/8-inch-thick strips (leave on the rind) and simmer for 10 minutes in 2 quarts of water. Drain and rinse in cold water.

Meanwhile, assemble in a slow cooker:

2 cups dried small white beans, well picked over and rinsed
5 cups water
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup finely sliced onions
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbs. dark unsulfured molasses
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 imported bay leaves
1/2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
6 grind of pepper.

Add the blanched pork.

Cover and bring to the simmer, then cook on low heat for 12 to 14 hours. Look at them once in a while--they may need a little bit of boiling water. They are not done until the beans have turned a dark reddish brown. Correct seasoning.

May be baked a day or two ahead and reheated.

(Notes: I never blanch the pork anymore, though it does soften it a little; I just add it last and go easy on the salt. If you make this ahead, be sure to refrigerate uncovered and stir a few times, or transfer them to a shallow pan so they'll cool quickly. I've had them go off on me when I've put the warm crock pot, covered, in the refrigerator. It's like an incubator!)

Other messages in this thread: