Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Sandy in Baltimore||
I'm sure you have Blueberry Pie Recipes, but...............
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #2773 at 9:26 pm on Jul 26, 2006
This one has been around for a long time and is really outstanding. As you will note it can be used for Peaches as well.
* Exported from MasterCook *
My Oh My! Blueberry Pie!
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pie
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 Cups Whole Fresh (ONLY FRESH) BLueberries -- About 2 pints
3/4 Cups Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1 Teaspoon Butter -- DONT SUBSTITUTE
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
9 Inch Baked Pastry Shell
1 Egg White -- Whipped up a bit with
1/8 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Water
Use a Pillsbury "unfolded" type shell, you only need half the package. Let it sit till it's at room temp. Then, fit it to your pie pan, and pinch the crust around the edges of the pie pan. Then, take your fork and prick it all over, sides and bottom. Bake it for the 10 or 12 minutes till it starts to get a little brown. Take it out of the oven and now brush it all with a pastry brush with the egg-white/sugar/water mixture, and put it back in the oven to set, and then do it again. This makes the crust VERY crisp/tender and the sugar/egg wash makes the crust golden, glossy and sweet.
Let the crust rest, and get cool. It doesn't take long, so you go on ahead and fix the filling at this point.
Combine sugar, salt, water, and cornstarch in a medium sized saucepan, mix it up well, then stir in 1/2 of the blueberries and cook over medium heat until bubbling and the berries start to pop. Stir to prevent the stuff from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove it from the stove and stir in the butter and lemon juice. Then let it all sit and cool a bit.
Now, take the other 1/2 of the FRESH blueberries and scatter 'em in the fresh baked pie shell, smooth 'em out nice and even. Then, take the cooked blueberry stuff and pour it over the fresh berries in the pie shell. Smooth it all over and then set it in the fridge for at least two hours, but it's better to leave it for four hours.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : this blueberry filling is SO simple! But, you will agree that it's one of the most delicious idea's you've tasted in a long time.
The crust holds together like nothing you ever sliced, and the blueberries and such stay right in place. You gotta put a scoop of 'nilla ice cream on this dish.
The recipe will work as well with peaches. SEE MY OH MY! PEACH PIE!
Other messages in this thread:
- 2773. It's the season for blueberries here. Any to-die-for recipes? [NT] - DawnNYS - 8:42pm on 07/26/06 (12)
- Rec:Blueberry-Onion Sauced Pork. I ended up with a package of blueberries and>> - orchid - 9:02pm on 07/26/06
- I saw something similar on tv. 'Wonder how it is. [NT] - DawnNYS - 7:01pm on 07/29/06
- OK Dawn, we made this today. It was good. I was afraid it was going to be>>> - orchid - 7:31pm on 07/31/06
- :o) If I made it, I would be one of those people who would leave out something... - DawnNYS - 6:30pm on 08/01/06
- LoL Dawn...just skip this one. I was drawn to this one because of the unusual>>> - orchid - 7:50pm on 08/01/06
- I'm sure you have Blueberry Pie Recipes, but............... - Sandy in Baltimore - 9:26pm on 07/26/06
- My mom, a wonderful pie baker< made one like this, half cooked - Luisa_Calif - 10:35pm on 07/26/06
- I've made this or the Epi one several times, wonderful! COL for Epi version can use other fruit. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 6:38pm on 07/30/06
- Thank you. And if I use a graham cracker crust, I don't even need to use the oven in this heat :o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 6:40pm on 07/31/06
- REC: Blueberry Crisp with Walnut Streusel Topping - V.G.!! - cheezz - 10:47pm on 07/26/06
- Yes, T & T, I promise you...Blueberry Bread... - Marianne - 3:04am on 07/27/06
- Thank you everyone! I made this bread this a.m., Marianne. Very good! Wonder... - DawnNYS - 6:45pm on 07/29/06