Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Cream of Cucumber Soup. This can be served hot but I like it much better cold...
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #2816 at 8:42 pm on Jul 29, 2006
POTAGE AUX CONCOMBRES
For 6 to 7 cups, serving 4 to 6
1-1/2 lbs. cucumbers (3, about 8 inches long)
1/2 cup minced shallots, scallions or onions
3 Tbs. butter
6 cups light chicken broth, or canned broth and water, plus more if needed
1-1/2 tsp. wine vinegar
3/4 tsp. dried dill weed or tarragon
4 Tbs. semolina (or cream of wheat)
Salt and white pepper
1 cup sour cream
Minced fresh dill, tarragon, or parsley
Peel the cucumbers. Cut 18 to 24 paper thin slices and reserve as a garnish. Cut the rest into half-inch chunks; you will have about 4-1/2 cups.
Cook the shallots slowly in the butter for several minutes until tender but not browned. Add the cucumber chunks, broth,vinegar, and herbs. Bring to the boil, then stir in the semolina. Simmer, partially covered, for 20 to 25 minutes. Puree, then return to the soup pan. Season with salt and white pepper Thin out with more liquid if necessary.
To serve hot, bring back to the simmer, whisk in 1/2 cup of the sour cream and serve each bowl topped with a dollop of sour cream, cucumber slices and herbs.
To serve cold, whisk the 1/2 cup sour cream into the pureed soup and overseason a bit. Chill overnight. Serve with remaining cream, cucumber slices and herbs.
From "Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume II, by Julia Child and Simone Beck.
Other messages in this thread:
- 2816. Joe, if you still have all those cukes, check this out... [NT] [LINK] - Dawn_MO - 4:58pm on 07/29/06 (5)
- Thanks, Dawn! I've tried a few of the recipes you all posted...it's been so miserably hot in the - Joe - 8:27pm on 07/29/06
- REC: Cream of Cucumber Soup. This can be served hot but I like it much better cold... - Joe - 8:42pm on 07/29/06
- If you like sweet and sour, you will love them... - Dawn_MO - 2:11am on 07/30/06
- Dawn, they're in my fridge as I speak.... - GayleMO - 10:55pm on 07/30/06
- Here's the Tomato Soup recipe...... - GayleMO - 10:58pm on 07/30/06