Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
colleenmomof2

CRACK - just suggesting ;)

Veteran Member
doublem1@prodigy.net
1048 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #28314 at 8:41 pm on Dec 21, 2015

Quick, easy, makes a huge batch, gentle on the teeth and loved by all. Once you have CRACK you'll never go back!

Almond CRACKer Toffee
1 sleeve (or so) of saltine crackers
1 cup minus 1 TBS of butter (15 TBS)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (12 oz) bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 6oz milk and 6oz semi chips)

1 tbs butter
1/2 cup sliced almonds (or whole, toasted, and chopped)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15X10 pan with foil and butter liberally. Lay saltine crackers in a single layer across the bottom, breaking the last few to fit.
2. In a heavy saucepan, heat the butter and brown sugar over medium high heat, stirring until they blend well. Continue to heat, without stirring, until the mixture begins to boil. Boil for 2 minutes more, then pour over the crackers. Spread the mixture evenly (I use a metal spreader/spatula). Bake for 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, lightly saute the sliced almonds in a medium skillet over medium heat with the tbs of butter. (Careful not to overcook!) Set aside. (****I skip this step and use toasted almonds chopped into large and small pieces - we didn't like the greasy almonds.)
4. Remove toffee from oven and top evenly with chocolate chips (I sprinkle semi and milk chips in stripes for different flavors in each bite). Bake for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from oven and lightly spread melted chocolate to join lines and cover (I use the metal spreader again). Top with toasted nuts and lightly tap nuts with the tip of a knife to secure them in the chocolate. Cool completely.
5. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Use the foil to release the toffee. Break into uneven pieces and serve. Toffee pieces keep well in the fridge and make a cool gift broken apart or wrapped as one tasty sheet.

This makes a huge batch of CRACK - plan ahead to share or you will consume all of it! Colleen

There are recipes to make this with matzo or Fritos or pretzels.

Other messages in this thread: