Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
A tip for success: depending on how savvy the kids are, have THEM suggest foods...
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #28603 at 11:18 pm on Apr 3, 2016
...they would like to try. Then, make it fun for them to pick a recipe and help shop for it, and eventually help prepare it.
The trick is to keep it simple, but to have them take ownership of it. They are much more likely to try it, eat it and enjoy it if they have something to do with the process in general.
For example, I made simple egg drop soup for my family when the boys were growing up. My youngest asked me for the recipe "so I can have it when I'm big". (Such a charmer, that kid!). I wasn't going to pass up a chance to get him involved so I told him I didn't really have a recipe written down, but did it "from memory". I asked him to help me make it, and to write his own recipe as we went along.
Attached, please find his hand-written recipe. He was 7 at the time.
Kids LOVE kitchen projects, and when the food they pick out and help to prepare hits the table, they BEAM with pride! All-in-all, a pretty good experience for everyone!
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- Growing up, our kids loved tacos. I used lean Sirloin, with lots of fresh garlic - KarenNoCA - 2:34pm on 04/03/16
- Sounds like mom has a very limited palate too. Maybe they could have international night sometimes? [NT] - Traca - 4:11pm on 04/03/16
- Great idea, most kids I have known love Mexican and Asian. My grand-kids sure do [NT] - KarenNoCA - 5:47pm on 04/03/16
- Mom is allergic to 'taters, other than that I haven't seen her be picky. [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 1:52am on 04/04/16
- Since we are privileged to watch our DD and DSIL feeding their 16 month old a lot - Charley - 10:16pm on 04/03/16
- She said they use to eat better, then she starting working, now they won't eat what they use to. - MariaDNoCA - 1:59am on 04/04/16
- A tip for success: depending on how savvy the kids are, have THEM suggest foods... [IMAGE] - Michael in Phoenix - 11:18pm on 04/03/16
- Awwwww, how cute is THIS?! It must be one of your prized possessions! <3 [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 2:01am on 04/04/16
- How sad is this: I never even BOUGHT soy sauce and ginger until I was 28. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:33pm on 04/04/16
- ...and sesame oil didn't make an appearance in my life until the 30's! [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:34pm on 04/04/16
- Dad has a well-stocked pantry. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 1:57pm on 04/04/16
- It is a wonderful keepsake, Maria. A benchmark of sorts, as I wanted my boys to cook! [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 1:43am on 04/05/16
- Cathy Z's Laarb is a hit.... Have the kids add the spices / flavorings to the ground meat - barb_b - 1:55am on 04/05/16
- Give her the recipe for the Five Ingredient chicken on this site. Delicious, a little sweet, - Charley - 3:15pm on 04/05/16