Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
wigs

REC: Golden Peach Pie Recipe (from TOH)

Veteran Member
wigs@juno.com
1869 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #30244 at 8:36 pm on Apr 19, 2018

This is a delicious peach pie! I made a total of 20 of these pies in 1.5 days last year to serve to a crowd of 240 people. It took 5 gallons of vanilla ice cream for the a la mode part. And it took me 3 days to recover from my 1-1/2-day baking marathon. lol. (And yes, I own 20 deep-dish pie pans/plates--a few had Christmas motifs on them!)

GOLDEN PEACH PIE RECIPE from Taste of Home. (Picture and recipe are at the TOH URL below.)

Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches) (I made and rolled pastry for a double-crust 9-inch DEEP-DISH pie.)

5 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches (5 medium peaches or so)---I used 1-1/2 quarts of sliced peaches for each pie which weighed in at about 2 pounds of peeled, sliced & pitted fresh peaches.

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest (I used 3/4 tsp.)

1/8 teaspoon almond extract

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch (instead of cornstarch I used 2 Tablespoons of minute tapioca which I ground to a fine powder before measuring.)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter (I used 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter.)

Whole milk or half-and-half

Directions
1) Line a 9-in. pie plate (deep-dish pie plate per wigs) with bottom pastry; trim, leaving a 1-in. overhang around edge. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the peaches, lemon juice, orange peel and extract. Combine the sugar, cornstarch (tapioca in my case), nutmeg and salt. Add to peach mixture; toss gently to coat. (Note from wigs: let filling sit long enough so that the tapioca is well moistened.) Pour into crust; dot with butter.

2) Roll out remaining pastry to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into strips of various widths. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to bottom pastry; fold overhang over. Lightly press or flute edge. Brush with milk. Cover the edges loosely with foil.
(I rolled out the remaining pastry a little bigger than the top of the pie and made decorative marks in this top pastry. I brushed the bottom pie edge with cold water, and then placed the top crust over the filling. Trimmed, sealed and fluted edges and made a couple slashes in the top crust. Then I brushed the pastry with milk or half-and-half before baking)

3) Bake at 400° for 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
(With freshly peeled peaches, I bake the pie at 400 degrees F. for 15 to 20 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 45 minutes to an hour or until my pie is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.)

Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. (I never store fruit pies in the refrigerator. wigs)
Yield: 8 servings. (I cut each pie into 12 slices and served each portion with a scoop of vanilla ice cream which was sprinkled with some toasted sliced almonds and a mint leaf.)

NOTE: I peeled, pitted, sliced, sprinkled with Fruit Fresh, measured, bagged, weighed and froze about 60 pounds of peaches a few months before I made all my pies. It takes about 1-1/2 to 2 hours for a 2-pound bag of sliced peaches to thaw enough to break apart with a spoon so I could mix with the other filling ingredients. I then baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and reduced the oven temp to 350 degrees to finish baking for an additional 60 to 70 minutes. Needed a bit longer baking time since I was starting out with slightly frozen peaches when the pies went into the oven.

Link: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/golden-peach-pie

Other messages in this thread: