Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Meryl: Here's my mom's foolproof easy pie crust: Mrs. Hedges Pie Crust
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #6138 at 5:10 pm on Mar 20, 2007
(named after the neighbor who gave her the recipe, but I've seen it under many names.) It's easy to handle, and the vinegar keeps the pastry from getting tough, even if you overwork it.
Cut together with 2 knives or a pastry blender, (or pulse in a processor), until mixture resembles coarse meal:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. vinegar
5 Tbs. water
Stir into the flour mixture until just combined.
Best to chill an hour before rolling out.
Makes 3 single crusts, or 4 small ones
Other messages in this thread:
- 6138. If I weren't pie crust -challenged, I'd try this: REC: Blackberry (Or Other Berry) Pie [NT] [LINK] [IMAGE] - Meryl - 4:44pm on 03/20/07 (18)
- Meryl: Here's my mom's foolproof easy pie crust: Mrs. Hedges Pie Crust - Joe - 5:10pm on 03/20/07
- Thanks, Joe,it's the rolling out part I hate.LOL.(I still have to try Marsha's pat in the pan ones)- - Meryl - 5:19pm on 03/20/07
- Yes, you can use butter but it's trickier to roll out because it softens so easily. This one - Joe - 5:33pm on 03/20/07
- Thanks a lot for the instructions, Joe, they're excellent. One question: - Meryl - 6:28pm on 03/20/07
- Not really. Fold the circle into a half-circle, then into a quarter-circle. This makes it easy to - Joe - 6:35pm on 03/20/07
- Okay, thanks. [NT] - Meryl - 6:37pm on 03/20/07
- Meryl. put some cocoa powder in the dough. Then you won't be afraid of it. [NT] - AngAk - 7:40pm on 03/20/07
- Meryl, Joe's recipe is really easier to roll out than a regular shortening crust. [NT] - AngAk - 5:27pm on 03/20/07
- My tried and true piecrust ..very easy to handle, flaky, good - RoseM - 11:43pm on 03/20/07
- Rose, is that 1 Tablespoon of salt? [NT] - Barb - 8:16am on 03/21/07
- Barb....yes I T is one tablespoon...the egg really makes the crust soft. [NT] - RoseM - 10:45pm on 03/21/07
- meryl, i've found rolling it out on a lightly floured tea towel works like a charm! once it's rolled - wildwoods - 3:43pm on 03/21/07
- How did I miss this one? Thanks, wildwoods - good tip! [NT] - Meryl - 1:31am on 03/24/07
- Here is my secret for for super quick and easy as pie crust: - LisainLA - 8:57pm on 03/22/07
- I knew I could count on you to come through, Lisa. :) [NT] - Meryl - 9:39pm on 03/22/07
- ;-) [NT] - LisainLA - 12:07am on 03/23/07