Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: The Best Pizza Dough Ever, by Marcy Goldman. And it definitely was!
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #9325 at 9:57 pm on Jan 8, 2008
We made this Sunday night and couldn't believe how fantastic the finished product was. I am an absolute disaster with yeast but had no problem with this recipe. And we cooked it in our caste iron skillet - awesome! (We even forgot to let it rise the last 90 minutes and it was still 20x better than anything we get delivered:)
The Best Pizza Dough Ever, by Marcy Goldman
Makes 2 or 3 pizzas
1 ¾ cups warm water (100 to 110F)
2 tsp. rapid-rise yeast
½ cup semolina or 2 T. cornmeal
2 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar or honey
3 T. olive oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 to 4 cups break flour
Olive oil for drizzling
In a mixer bowl, hand-whisk water and yeast together and let stand 2 to 3 minutes to dissolve yeast. Briskly whisk in semolina, salt, sugar, oil, and all-purpose flour. Stir in enough bread flour to make a shaggy mass that is barely combined, about 2 minutes. Then cover loosely w/ plastic and let stand 30 minutes. Stir down dough and then knead with dough hook on lowest speed 6 to 8 minutes, dusting with additional flour as necessary to make a soft dough.
Remove dough hook, spray dough with nonstick cooking spray, and cover entire mixer and bowl with a large clear plastic bag. Let dough rise 45 to 60 minutes.
To make pizza’s, gently deflate dough and divide into 2 or 3 large rounds, as required. You can place rounds in cast-iron skillets or on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet drizzled with olive oil. Stretch to fit pans, turning in edges to make a thick crust.
Once pizzas are formed, spray with nonstick cooking spray and then garnish as desired. Cover loosely with a large sheet of plastic wrap and let dough rise 90 minutes or until dough is very light and puffed up.
To bake, preheat oven to 475 F. Bake pizzas on upper rack until done and pizzas are browned all over, 12 to 20 minutes.
Other messages in this thread:
- 9325. REC: The Best Pizza Dough Ever, by Marcy Goldman. And it definitely was! - deb-in-MI - 9:57pm on 01/08/08 (9)
- deb-in-MI, Sounds wonderful. Can't wait for my book to arrive. I found her blog and thought [LINK] - GayR - 10:33pm on 01/08/08
- The link will not work. Do a google search for love notes from wheatland and it will come up for - GayR - 10:38pm on 01/08/08
- Got it to work. Disregard the post above. Enjoy! [NT] - GayR - 10:40pm on 01/08/08
- LOL, I misread that as "Get to work." I thought, how does she know I'm at work? [NT] - Joe - 10:52pm on 01/08/08
- Thank you! I just 'bookmarked it' [NT] - deb-in-MI - 11:54am on 01/09/08
- Deb-thank you! Your timing is perfect. I just told DH this weekend that - Barbara in VA - 1:06pm on 01/09/08
- Remember to cook it in a caste iron skillet if you can! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:52pm on 01/09/08
- If you wanted to freeze this dough at what point would you freeze it? - Dawn_MO - 2:34pm on 01/09/08
- No idea what the right way is....but after it's final rise we divided into 3 pieces and froze 2 - deb-in-MI - 4:53pm on 01/09/08