Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Jamaican Sorrel -- fresh spicy flavor, and beautiful color.
Joined: Mar 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #12735 at 12:26 am on Nov 25, 2008
JAMAICAN SORREL RECIPE
Ingredients: dried sorrel (known here as hibiscus),fresh ginger, sugar, allspice (optional)
6 oz dried sorrel
sliced fresh ginger, about 1/2 cup
8 to 10 allspice berries
8 cups water
2.5 cups water for re-draft
1.5 cups white sugar
Yields 8.5 cups of drink
1. Spread the sorrel out on aluminum foil or a white cloth which will make it easy to spot and remove any debris or unfit sorrel pieces.
2. After you have cleaned the sorrel pour it into a large cooking pot with 8 cups of water. Add the ginger.
3. Boil the mixture for10 minutes after it begins to boil. Remove immediately and pour through a strainer into a glass pitcher.
4. Return the remains from tea strainer and return to the cooking pot and add 2.5 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil again and remove after 10 minutes.
5. Strain the mixture and discard the residue.
6. Sweeten with 1.5 cups of white sugar or to taste.
7. Cool then serve over ice. Refrigerate the remainder. Add water to the strength you like.
In Jamaica, we used to spike this with white rum at Christmas. I like to add lemon grass too -- especially the leaves, when I am using the white part for curries.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12735. This year will be a "dry" Thanksgiving at our house. Any ideas for beverages to serve? - Dawn_MO - 3:00pm on 11/24/08 (13)
- Angel Punch [LINK] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 4:16pm on 11/24/08
- I still love the ancient concoction of cran juice, 7Up, floating limes...... [NT] - Marg CDN - 4:23pm on 11/24/08
- I remember something like this as a kid...Mom used to float scoops of sherbert in the punch. [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 4:51pm on 11/24/08
- Check this out: Champagne Punch [LINK] - Meryl - 4:33pm on 11/24/08
- do you have Safeway stores? their Organics brand has sparkling pomegranite juice and blood orange - AngAk - 6:56pm on 11/24/08
- Knudsen sparkling juices are very nice too, and available all over. just open and pour. [NT] - AngAk - 6:57pm on 11/24/08
- Oh - you just reminded me of Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider. Love it! [NT] - Meryl - 6:58pm on 11/24/08
- that's another brand widely available,and they make other flavors as well. [NT] - AngAk - 8:04pm on 11/24/08
- No we don't have Safeways here. And I miss my Ralph's and Henry's markets too. - Dawn_MO - 10:45pm on 11/24/08
- I second Meryl's recommendation for the Sparkling Cider. mmmmmm refreshing! [NT] - PatBastrop - 12:13am on 11/25/08
- Jamaican Sorrel -- fresh spicy flavor, and beautiful color. - PatBastrop - 12:26am on 11/25/08
- how about Fre - the non-alcoholic wine? [NT] - cheezz - 4:24am on 11/25/08
- sparkling - BonnieinHolland - 5:19am on 11/25/08