Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Totally gross but true... While preparing a favorite baked salmon dinner for my Dad and I tonight...
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #14018 at 5:29 am on Mar 4, 2009
and much to my horror... I started to quarter a pound of farm-raised salmon that I bought today at a local supermarket only to find that there were heavy deposits of blood underneath the skin. They were rather large and unappealing deposits I might add...
"What the heck is it??" I asked myself! I've never seen such an abnormality in salmon nor any fish that I've purchased. I immediately called the supermarket and they could not answer to the strange malformation. They did however, volunteer to ask that I return the farm-raised salmon for a refund. I just wondered if any of you have seen salmon fillets, center cut, where there were big blobs of blood right underneath the skin and if so, what the heck is it???
This is darn right scary! I do know that farm-raised seafood is not the greatest nor healthiest stuff from the sea and, if only eaten occasionally, shouldn't pose a problem to our health, but this was bizarre and I'm hoping someone here can explain this. I know about the "blood" line in certain fish but this was a substantial mass of blood in a one-pound center cut salmon fillet.
I would appreciate your feedback before returning the salmon to the supermarket tomorrow so that I can talk intelligently - if that's the case!
Other messages in this thread:
- 14018. Totally gross but true... While preparing a favorite baked salmon dinner for my Dad and I tonight... - FloriSandy - 5:29am on 03/04/09 (9)
- I forgot to mention that when I first saw the window display of salmon fillets, [LINK] [IMAGE] - FloriSandy - 6:01am on 03/04/09
- Hmmm, I've never gotten any like that. I've been told to hold grouper up to the light to look for - Curious1 - 3:43pm on 03/04/09
- I think that might be the case. Why that clerk sold it to me is beyond me. [NT] - FloriSandy - 4:15pm on 03/04/09
- I closed my eyes while clicking on this so I could post that I'm afraid to read this. Just got - MarilynFL - 4:50pm on 03/04/09
- Sandy, I have seen bloody spots on tuna, because they are caught with a gaffe. - Joe - 7:04pm on 03/04/09
- Don't open if squeamish. I have an associate in the seafood biz. He said... - Michael in Phoenix - 7:12pm on 03/04/09
- Yikes. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 8:40pm on 03/04/09
- Interesting, thanks Michael. [NT] - Curious1 - 8:41pm on 03/04/09
- Thanks Michael! Here's what happened when I returned the salmon today... - FloriSandy - 11:11pm on 03/04/09