Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Thanx for the feed back...NOW.....please...there is no ......
Joined: Apr 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #14220 at 3:00 pm on Mar 24, 2009
other source hereabouts for me to work from...all I can find on the web (all over the world) is the offer to stay and cook and these are quite expensive...
I want to offer just a morning/days do...I do have a studio for one couple which we could do a longer stay at a later date but for now I am thinking just of a day thing.
Food is expensive here so I cant do it as cheaply as I see in Thailand for eg....
how much would you pay for:
1......pick up at 9.30am a drive to the market place......buy some foods...I will have to have other foodstufs either soaking (like salt fish)
Pass by a smallholding for some veg/salad and back to my house.....Cook and eat from 11.30am, finish 2pm......
AND who pays for the ingredients?...some of these like crayfish is quite expensive...
A BIG help/suggestion on this please...
2.....Then...how do they get away from my house....I dont want to hit the traffic and take them home...
3....I could do this in their villa/condo but so often I would have to lug loads of pots and pans...and then I would also have to wait till they finished eating to wash up/take my dishes home again.....(unless I use foil pans...could work for a few dishes).
The fish here is dubious because of siguatura, we get most frozen....also we use frozen conch a lot as it is fished out...crayfish is hard to buy at the market, I'd organize that through another source.......
I have this idea so far (very loose)...
Met with a rum/fruit drink and the recipe
Appertizer: Accras (salt fish balls...fried) with greens and dip. or Okra (lady fingers..fried)
Starter: Soup....pumpkin, sweet potato, or whatever.
Entree: Fish, crayfish, conch curry, chicken curry salad or whatever.
Dessert: Ummmmmm, there are a few to choose from.
We grow our own coconuts so I thought I could get the gardener to show them how to open one ...use it too...or drink from it.
We also grow some things we can pick but the garden is not prolific and does not produce loads for more than a few months.
This must be easy for them to do on their own....it must pay me to do this and give them a good outing and meal.
Wine does not make you fat, it makes you lean/against walls, tables, chairs, floors and ugly people.
Other messages in this thread:
- 14220. Help from you guys please....ideas and suggestions....re cooking classes..... - joanietoo - 5:46pm on 03/23/09 (45)
- I think it's a fantastic idea. Guests would probably love cultural, historical, etc. tidbits, too. [NT] - ErininNY - 6:39pm on 03/23/09
- Thanx for the input.... - joanietoo - 8:32pm on 03/24/09
- It works in Italy and France and Greece(maybe contact Evelyn?), so I think it would work on Islands - AngAk - 7:08pm on 03/23/09
- Love the idea! M&D just returned from the islands on Saturday. For dog sitting, they gave me - barb_b - 7:45pm on 03/23/09
- Lotsa.... - Marg CDN - 8:08pm on 03/23/09
- What Marg said. That all sounds very exotic to me, and I'm sure the island produce would seem exotic - Joe - 8:34pm on 03/23/09
- Joe, I agree but I am wary about sending people off to buy fish here.... - joanietoo - 8:59pm on 03/24/09
- "Aki, rice, salt fish is nice... (Cue steel drum band)". I agree with Marg. When I visited the \ - Marianne - 11:25pm on 03/23/09
- No turtle allowed.....and no aki where I am.....I do have steele drum music..:) [NT] - joanietoo - 3:13pm on 03/24/09
- That's 'steel' [NT] - joanietoo - 4:13pm on 03/24/09
- In my first ditty, I mentioned that a beach BBQ is always fun for folks. A good way to learn how to - Marg CDN - 12:27am on 03/24/09
- Marge.....you ahve so many great ideas...come and join me in this venture... - joanietoo - 3:10pm on 03/24/09
- The small stuff idea was to allow them to make it again....back at the condo. Part of the plus of a - Marg CDN - 4:21pm on 03/24/09
- It is a good idea to have a wee gift basket/packet of all.... - joanietoo - 4:28pm on 03/24/09
- Methinks it would be prohibitively expensive. The recipe, of course, with some tidbits on origin, - Marg CDN - 4:47pm on 03/24/09
- Marge, if care to share, I'm sure we'd all love to know how you fix your fish! [NT] - Marsha tbay - 4:23pm on 03/24/09
- If it weren't so long ago, remembering would be easier. I'll get back, but it's embarrassingly simpl [NT] - Marg CDN - 7:01pm on 03/27/09
- We dont have the pickapepper as a regional sauce.....however... - joanietoo - 3:20pm on 03/24/09
- Do you have a friend who could embark on this with you...as long as she has a pool? - Marg CDN - 4:24pm on 03/24/09
- Oh...LOL.... - joanietoo - 4:30pm on 03/24/09
- More room for a colourful umbrella. Give them some stories on the hurricane (they're hard - Marg CDN - 4:52pm on 03/24/09
- Here was something that inspired me but of course, I'm no where exotic.... [LINK] - Music City Missy - 11:33pm on 03/23/09
- As someone suggested....seafood. I think of our seafood meals there so often, I wish I knew how to - Marsha tbay - 11:55pm on 03/23/09
- I remember the wonderful fish from our trips to the islands. Please teach them how to reproduce that [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:54am on 03/24/09
- Fried Fish Balls - joanietoo - 8:46pm on 03/24/09
- I've done exactly that in Mexico & Thailand. Sounds like a perfect fit! - Traca - 4:57am on 03/24/09
- I agree about the markets. They can seem overwhemling to a tourist. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 7:50pm on 03/24/09
- Thanx for the feed back...NOW.....please...there is no ...... - joanietoo - 3:00pm on 03/24/09
- Still thinkin'... - Marg CDN - 4:42pm on 03/24/09
- As a tourist I would want to pay one flat fee...for everything. - MarilynFL - 6:10pm on 03/24/09
- I would pay to have her fix me her Mango Avocado Shrimp salad, on the deck with a view with wine and - AngAk - 7:04pm on 03/24/09
- Good idea Ang as it is a luncheon and French baguette is great with it...thanx [NT] - joanietoo - 8:16pm on 03/24/09
- What Mar said plus...I wouldn't expect Disney quality and love to experience - orchid - 7:12pm on 03/24/09
- Now, why did I not think of that?....get a - joanietoo - 8:26pm on 03/24/09
- I don't know what the relative prices are like where you are, but since you [LINK] - Traca - 8:33pm on 03/24/09
- Hi Traca.... - joanietoo - 8:52pm on 03/24/09
- My pleasure...can't wait to see how things shape up! Sounds like a fab. idea. It's funny how - Traca - 12:14am on 03/25/09
- I think a guided trip through a market would be good. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 7:48pm on 03/24/09
- If I were doing this seriously, differentiation would be key. I'd have to offer something that no - Marg CDN - 4:49pm on 03/24/09
- Marg the BBQ sounds... - joanietoo - 8:19pm on 03/24/09
- Also dive boats/beaches etc are not the... - joanietoo - 8:35pm on 03/24/09
- No I just mean getting the dive guys to do some driving. Don't they have little buses that they use - Marg CDN - 9:31pm on 03/24/09
- Thank you folk, I have much to work on. - joanietoo - 8:30pm on 03/24/09
- Well....there ya go! [NT] - Marg CDN - 9:31pm on 03/24/09
- I like the idea about the guided trip through the market. Here's what we did - Judy-TX - 8:41pm on 03/30/09