Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I have to disagree -I prefer Hershey's over both Nestle and Ghirardelli for natural cocoa powder,
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #18104 at 11:33 pm on Apr 21, 2010
although none of them are outstanding. I also am not too impressed with Penzey's natural or Dutched - I found them both pretty mild.
For Dutched, I think Droste and Callebaut are much better than Penzey's, but my absolute favorite right now is El Rey. It is unbelievable - the best cocoa powder I've ever tasted - it's so, so, so deep chocolatey and rich. I tried some Chocolate Muffins with both Droste (which has always been my favorite, with Callebaut a very close second), and with El Rey. I tasted them side by side, and what a difference! I was really amazed. Up until now, I was very happy with Droste, and still think it's excellent, but once I tried El Rey, that was it!!!! It's the king! I also tested my lowfat creamy chocolate pudding with El Rey, which I've made countless times, and it was unreal - doubly intense and rich! I can't wait to make my husband's birthday cake with it in May.
P.S. I can't believe how dumb they are at Whole Foods - They never heard of Dutch processed cocoa powder???!
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18104. HELP!! I can't believe I live in Southern Calif. and can't find dutch process cocoa powder!! - cheezz - 6:44pm on 04/21/10 (29)
- Hey cheezz - you should be able to find Droste at Whole Foods and possibly TJ's. [NT] - Meryl - 6:58pm on 04/21/10
- Droste is the one I bought at World Market - no more, though. Just go back from WF - zip. - cheezz - 10:09pm on 04/21/10
- A recipe I made called for the Dutch Process Cocoa...I went looking for it at Raley's - KarenNoCA - 7:41pm on 04/21/10
- HUH??!! She is NOT a baker if she says you can use Hershey's - BIG, BIG difference. - cheezz - 10:11pm on 04/21/10
- Although Hershey's Special Dark makes an amazing dark chocolate cake. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 11:01pm on 04/21/10
- That's their Dutch processed cocoa powder. [NT] - Meryl - 11:21pm on 04/21/10
- I have to disagree -I prefer Hershey's over both Nestle and Ghirardelli for natural cocoa powder, - Meryl - 11:33pm on 04/21/10
- I can't even find the Hershey's Dark... where do you buy El Rey?? [NT] - cheezz - 10:52pm on 04/22/10
- oops... never mind - I see your 'El Rey' response below :) [NT] - cheezz - 10:53pm on 04/22/10
- WHOA! Shipping rates will kill ya.... they say Sur La Table carries their products... - cheezz - 11:01pm on 04/22/10
- The shipping rates are high, but the cocoa powder is unbelievably inexpensive! Also, if you order - Meryl - 11:38pm on 04/22/10
- Hey, check Whole Foods for El Rey Cocoa powder - I just read on a blog that someone bought it there, - Meryl - 3:51am on 04/23/10
- I was just at Whole Foods yesterday and they didn't have it (at least not in the baking aisle) [NT] - cheezz - 2:04pm on 04/23/10
- I found some at Howe's market a while back. Don't know if you've got one near you though. - Steve2 in LA - 8:38pm on 04/21/10
- Steve, I've never heard of Howe's! Haven't tried Surfas, but that's a good idea. Thanks! [NT] - cheezz - 10:12pm on 04/21/10
- Pernigotti at Williams-Sonoma is dutched. - Sandi in Hawaii - 1:15am on 04/22/10
- Try El Rey and you'll never go back! Pernigotti pales compared to it! [NT] - Meryl - 3:30am on 04/22/10
- really? I love the Pernigotti but can't get it here--always a "souvenier" from Hawaii trips. - AngAk - 1:14pm on 04/22/10
- Ang, the only sources I've found for El Rey is their own site or at Chocosphere, which is where I - Meryl - 2:31pm on 04/22/10
- Grammar correction: "are" not "is!" [NT] - Meryl - 2:35pm on 04/22/10
- oh nuts. shipping to Alaska can mean a second mortgage. [NT] - AngAk - 1:08pm on 04/23/10
- I recently purchased some Cacao di Pernigotti and also some Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa - wigs - 11:54am on 04/22/10
- also, the Wilbur Chocolate Co has dutched cocoa at a great price. [NT] - AngAk - 1:12pm on 04/22/10
- Hey wigs, I like Scharffen Berger for natural cocoa. For El Rey, the only sources I've found - Meryl - 2:33pm on 04/22/10
- HA! wigs, It makes you realize how much you *assume* because you're more experienced... - cheezz - 2:07pm on 04/23/10
- You got that right. Teaching a cooking class now & again makes me realize how fortunate - wigs - 4:41pm on 04/23/10
- HA! I could appreciate the grease/flour thing. After all, it does NOT say to dump out the excess *g* [NT] - cheezz - 6:15pm on 04/25/10
- Remidns me once of watching a cooking show with some young kids on. They were in the kitchen - cheezz - 6:18pm on 04/25/10