Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Not being sure about the stock, veggies, etc. that you are using??? when I make roux, I usually make
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #18120 at 7:15 pm on Apr 24, 2010
a big batch 3-4 cups oil and of flour. It keeps in the fridge forever, and I always have some for another gumbo or to season other dishes with.
When I was working out of south Texas, Corpus, you can buy quarts in the market.
I actually enjoy the zen thing of cooking it to the right mahogany color and the toast aroma. Sort of like doing the perfect risotto?
A fine place in Galveston uses it in their chicken and dumplings!
Yummm, can't have too much roux,
Other messages in this thread:
- 18120. How much roux should I make for a gumbo with 3 lbs of meat? [NT] - Kendall - 6:44pm on 04/24/10 (4)
- You can follow this recipe that I made. I used 3 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs [LINK] - FloriSandy - 7:08pm on 04/24/10
- Not being sure about the stock, veggies, etc. that you are using??? when I make roux, I usually make - Nan - 7:15pm on 04/24/10
- I saute up whatever meats I'm using pre-gumbo then use that fat for a dark chocolate roux. [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 12:59am on 04/27/10
- Thank you Sandy and Nan that answered it! - Kendall - 7:39pm on 04/24/10