Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Could it be this one? REC: Avgolemono Soup
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #18123 at 8:02 pm on Apr 25, 2010
* Exported from MasterCook *
Recipe By :Lita/By Jove
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups And Stews
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 cups chicken broth (homemade or one 49 oz.
1 can chicken broth)
2 chicken breasts (frozen OK)
2 cups water
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
2 lemons or large limes (I use whichever is
3 large eggs
Salt & Pepper
Poach the chicken breasts in the chicken broth (don't boil, as the chicken becomes tough). When the chicken is done, remove it from the broth, shred, and set aside. Add the water and rice to the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked. Combine the eggs and the juice of the lemons/limes in a jar and shake until frothy (break the yokes first with a fork).
Add this mixture bit by bit to the broth/rice, which should be on "low." Stir
after each addition. I shake the egg/lemon after each addition to keep it frothy. After incorporating the egg/lemon mixture, add the chicken and season to taste with S & P. You may want to season with a little more lemon or lime juice (I do) or add water if you think the soup is too thick. I usually leave it on the burner on low for another 5 minutes to ensure that the egg is cooked and the flavors have blended.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sometimes you just need to look reality in the eye, and deny it. –Garrison Keillor
Other messages in this thread:
- 18123. I have a friend that is loking for a soup recipe not sure if she is spelling it right Avongus - carol whidbey Is - 7:37pm on 04/25/10 (5)
- Could it be this one? REC: Avgolemono Soup - Dawn_MO - 8:02pm on 04/25/10
- Here's another from Evelyn in Athens that is a great recipe - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:20pm on 04/25/10
- This is a family favorite. She is one good cook. [NT] - elaine - 2:20am on 04/26/10
- Or Albondigas (Mexican Meatball Soup) posted by Michael in Phoenix? [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 8:21pm on 04/25/10
- How funny- I was just copying the same link to put this up as a choice as well [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:23pm on 04/25/10