Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
Here's another from Evelyn in Athens that is a great recipe
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #18123 at 4:20 pm on Apr 25, 2010
(Meatballs in Egg-Lemon Soup)
1 /2 lb Ground beef
1/2 lb Ground pork
1 Onion, minced
1 Garlic clove, minced fine (opt)
6 tb Raw long-grain white rice
Chopped fresh parsley
2 tb Chopped fresh dill or mint
1 ts Dried oregano or thyme
Salt & freshly ground pepper
5 c good chicken stock
4 oz Unsalted butter
1 Onion, chopped
2-3 Carrots, sliced
1 lg Potato, cubed
1 Lemon (or more), juice only
In a large bowl, combine the meat, minced onion, garlic, raw rice, 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, the dill or mint, oregano, salt and pepper, and 1 egg, slightly beaten. Knead for a few minutes, then shape into walnut-sized meatballs and set aside.
In a soup pot, bring the water or stock to boil with the butter, chopped onion, carrot and potato and salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and add the meatballs. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. If you like your soup thick, add 2 tbs of cornstarch to a little bit of cold water, mix and add to the soup. Simmer until thick. Remove from the heat.
To prepare avgolemono, beat the remaining 2 eggs for 2 minutes. Gradually add the lemon juice. Then add 1 cup of the hot broth by droplets, beating steadily, until nearly all
has been added. Add the egg mix to the soup and heat,
being careful not to let it boil. Serve hot, garnished with parsley. Serve Feta with the soup if you like.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18123. I have a friend that is loking for a soup recipe not sure if she is spelling it right Avongus - carol whidbey Is - 3:37pm on 04/25/10 (5)
- Could it be this one? REC: Avgolemono Soup - Dawn_MO - 4:02pm on 04/25/10
- Here's another from Evelyn in Athens that is a great recipe - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:20pm on 04/25/10
- This is a family favorite. She is one good cook. [NT] - elaine - 10:20pm on 04/25/10
- Or Albondigas (Mexican Meatball Soup) posted by Michael in Phoenix? [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 4:21pm on 04/25/10
- How funny- I was just copying the same link to put this up as a choice as well [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 4:23pm on 04/25/10