Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Weekend Fun in San Francisco
Joined: Apr 10, 2006
Posted to Thread #18118 at 12:31 am on Apr 26, 2010
This may be late to post for our weekend stuff, but this has been a spectacular weekend for me!
Met Heather at the Farmer's Market in the Ferry Building at 9 am on Saturday morning.
As we were driving down Market Street in a cab, toward the Ferry Building, I saw a red-haired dervish running to catch the bus in front of us, and I knew it was Heather, although I've never met her before. Our cab tried to catch up with her, but she got on the bus, so we waited at the entrance to the Ferry Building, and linked up with her shortly after.
The sights, smells, and the sounds of this Farmer's Market are absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!.
Flowers, fruits, vegetables, herbs, cheese, meats, poultry, seafood, sausages, and so much more, all produced by LOCAL farms/processing plants, with the emphasis on connecting the consumer to the producer of our food, which is missing when we buy our food at the local mega-supermarket. And there were so many prepared food venders, offering the most gorgeous, delicious looking foods. It was very hard to resist.
Heather is very knowledgeable about the Farmer's Market, and guided us from booth to booth, explaining the items on display, and the uses for the unusual fruits, vegetables, herbs, or other products that we saw. I suggested to Heather that she might be able to give guided tours of the Farmer's Market to tour groups, and get paid for it. I really think that our visit to the Farmer's Market would have been very meaningless, without her explanation of what we saw.
Our lunch at the Ferry Building was wonderful, clam chowder and Dungeness crab sandwiches, with lovely wine and Anchor Steam beer for DH.
The shopping in the Ferry Building was amazing, but I had to resist, because it would be hard to bring a lot of stuff home on the plane.
My DH, Jim, said that the visit to the Farmer's Market with Heather was the highlight of our trip, because Heather was with us, and because we visited with local customers and vendors, and we felt like we were a part of the local community.
To bore you with restaurant chatter, on Sunday afternoon, we had lunch at Max's Opera Cafe, had the most delicious Russian Cabbage Soup I've ever tasted, (tomato base, brisket, veggies, raisins), it was a cross between a stuffed cabbage soup and a sauerbraten soup. They have deli sandwiches to challenge the Carnegie Deli or the Stage in New York.
We attended a wonderful concert on Sunday afternoon, Peter Schickele's PDQ Bach "Jeckle and Hyde Tour", which is a very funny satire of classical music.
Dinner was at Capps Corner, which Heather visited last Friday, but we were very disappointed. Instead of ordering a special of the day, which was a grilled sea bass, we ordered the Lasagne and Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onion. The Lasagne tasted exactly like Souffer's Frozen Lasagna. The Minestrone and Salad before dinner were mediocre. We have a small restaurant at home that will outshine Capps Corner, at half the price. Oh well, this is not surprising.
Monday morning, we fly back home to Alabama, and we are already planning another visit to this beautiful "City by the Sea"
Our visit was made very special because of our time with Heather. We met at 9 am, and finally said a tearful "goodbye" to each other at 4 pm. If anyone else is planning to vist San Francisco, book a tour with "Hugs From HAL"
Much love to Heather,
"A brandy for the Chef!"
Other messages in this thread:
- 18118. Weekend Fun/Six - Heather_in_SF - 12:58am on 04/24/10 (58)
- Today's my birthday, so I made one of my favorites: Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake. It's chilling in - Meryl - 3:46am on 04/24/10
- Happy Birthday Meryle. Enjoy your special day to the fullest. [NT] - Sylvia - 6:25am on 04/24/10
- Happy Birthday! (I'm singing it to you but be thankful you can't hear it!) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 7:25am on 04/24/10
- Ha! [NT] - Meryl - 7:56pm on 04/24/10
- Happy happy day. Enjoy every minute. [NT] - elaine - 9:08am on 04/24/10
- Happy Birthday Meryl!! Enjoy! [NT] - FloriSandy - 12:12pm on 04/24/10
- Happy Birthday Meryl! [NT] - Dawn_MO - 6:07pm on 04/24/10
- Happy Birthday Meryl. Lucky you :) [NT] - joanietoo - 8:01pm on 04/24/10
- Many happy returns, Meryl! (The ring sounds gorgeous!) [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 8:49pm on 04/24/10
- Thanks, all! [NT] - Meryl - 11:42pm on 04/24/10
- Happy Birthday! [NT] - SallyBR - 6:11pm on 04/25/10
- Happy Belated Birthday! [NT] - Cindy - 6:16pm on 04/25/10
- Happy Birthday! Chocolate & a book on the horizon. Sounds like a great start to your new year! [NT] - Traca - 11:25pm on 04/25/10
- Belated Happy Birthday, Meryl. What a lovely gift. Lucky you! [NT] - Marianne - 11:45am on 04/26/10
- Wow. He's a keeper Meryl! so glad you had a wonderful day. [NT] - AngAk - 1:14pm on 04/26/10
- Thanks again, everyone! [NT] - Meryl - 6:24pm on 04/26/10
- My Six [LINK] - Melissa Dallas - 9:36am on 04/24/10
- Heather, if you make the butterscotch pudding try dark brown sugar in it. I wish - Melissa Dallas - 9:38am on 04/24/10
- Happy B'day, Meryl. Celebrate in chocolate. My six - DawnNYS - 3:05pm on 04/24/10
- P.S. Your favorite way to cook a 5-lb bone-in ham? In case I do that? TIA [NT] - DawnNYS - 3:13pm on 04/24/10
- Give this one a try, it is delish. REC: Monte's Ham - Dawn_MO - 6:07pm on 04/24/10
- Thanks Dawn - so if 15 lbs = 2 and 1.5 hrs, then 7 lbs = about 1hour, and 1 hour? - DawnNYS - 9:08pm on 04/24/10
- Here is another one that has rave reviews on Zaar. REC: Awesome Baked Ham [LINK] - Dawn_MO - 12:09pm on 04/25/10
- Thanks, I used brown spicy mustard, that's all I had. And I wrapped it kind of - DawnNYS - 3:02pm on 04/25/10
- I just bought four hams (three are in the freezer) after all this ham talk. - Dawn_MO - 3:09pm on 04/25/10
- Well, I started it out at 350, then found instructions inside of the wrapper that said to - DawnNYS - 10:39pm on 04/25/10
- Rec: Slow-Baked "City" Ham from Fine Cooking. I just recently learned that Pyrex and Corning dishes - Curious1 - 1:01pm on 04/26/10
- Dawn, I was thinking the same thing!! How does she fit 3 hams in the freezer!! : ) - barb_b - 2:30pm on 04/26/10
- Score!! [NT] - AngAk - 1:19pm on 04/26/10
- Thanks, Dawn. - Meryl - 11:43pm on 04/24/10
- I added a 7th - cleaned out my "take home" miniatures... I mean, how many packets of ketchup - DawnNYS - 2:01pm on 04/25/10
- My Saturday Six - Sylvia - 3:53pm on 04/24/10
- Sounds good...enjoy [NT] - joanietoo - 8:02pm on 04/24/10
- Weekend Six - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 8:54pm on 04/24/10
- Weekend Fun in San Francisco - Marianne - 12:31am on 04/26/10
- Sounds like you all had a grand time! [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 12:44pm on 04/26/10
- what a great recap! sounds absolutely wonderful. [NT] - AngAk - 1:27pm on 04/26/10
- We had such a fun day! (pictures inside) - Heather_in_SF - 7:00pm on 04/26/10
- That is so cool!!! Thanks for sharing the pics and the details of a fun day! I love the - barb_b - 7:39pm on 04/26/10
- sounds like a great day! It's fun to show out-of-towners our home towns. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 10:38pm on 04/26/10
- I love Marianne's jacket---I want. what a picture perfect day! [NT] - AngAk - 1:00pm on 04/27/10
- The plan--you and I head south, grab Traca in Seattle and go play in Heather's yard! [NT] - Nan - 1:49pm on 04/27/10
- watch out SFO!! [NT] - AngAk - 4:25pm on 04/27/10
- Wonderful pictures, Heather -- what a great weekend -- you are a real sweetie! [NT] - PatBastrop - 10:57am on 04/27/10
- Here's my six! - PatBastrop - 12:44am on 04/26/10
- Really neat to learn and appreciate your grandfather X4 roots. - barb_b - 9:32am on 04/26/10
- Yes, isn't it fun when you find something interesting? That's how excited I got - DawnNYS - 8:47pm on 04/26/10
- On the Mayflower! So awesome! - PatBastrop - 11:12pm on 04/26/10
- Wow, that's almost scary! Like you knew it somewhere in your DNA! [NT] - DawnNYS - 12:01am on 04/27/10
- Thanks, Pat! [NT] - Meryl - 9:00pm on 04/26/10
- Belated weekend six - Dawn_MO - 1:55am on 04/26/10
- sending best wishes down your way!! [NT] - AngAk - 1:50pm on 04/26/10
- Sending tongue depresser asap. Place between teeth, crosswise whenever you - PatBastrop - 3:17pm on 04/26/10
- Aw, it's Flat Stanley! Glad he's not moose hunting! [NT] - PatBastrop - 3:18pm on 04/26/10
- Wow, what a wonderful thing to do. You must be proud of her! [NT] - DawnNYS - 8:49pm on 04/26/10
- My weekend Six(looks like we're all waking up from a long winter's sleep!) [IMAGE] - AngAk - 2:03pm on 04/26/10
- I love Flat Stanley!! We have had him visit here a few times! Please give him my hugs! [NT] - barb_b - 2:25pm on 04/26/10
- he may or maynot already have a smudge of mustard on his backside. yeah. [NT] - AngAk - 4:45pm on 04/26/10