Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Music City Missy||
OMG - SO many
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #18736 at 2:31 am on Aug 6, 2010
when are you coming? I am an empty-nester after this weekend. DD leaving for college in Mississippi and DH is in Portland, OR.
So let's see:
Arnold's - going to be on Diners Drive Ins and Dives, is a RoadFood favorite. I think it's overrated and last time I ate there it was SALTY and I LOVE salt.
Loveless Cafe - of course it's world famous and there isn't a magazine that hasn't featured it. The food is okay and it's a fun place though it's a little far out from downtown
Monell's - the original Germantown location - is family style and they sit people together that don't know each other. Can be fun. Food is okay. Fried chicken is good and the salads are good. Saturday night is the best even though it's a little more expensive but it has catfish, meatloaf and pulled pork.
Sylvan Park - ok
Swett's is also famous but I wouldn't eat there because of some things I know and I would advise you not to go there
My preferences are a little lesser known places:
At the Table - soul food joint but he makes his stuff from scratch and from the farmers market instead of cans when he can
Wendell Smith's - this is a gem, very old and good food. Sells tomatoes and stuff on the counter for customers.
Blind Pig 55 - okay this is a new joint that is known for bbq but the sides were more than interesting and they were good - I'm dying to go on Sunday when they have fried chicken. They do have chicken fried steak
My favorite place of all, Dairy King, was lost in the flood and the city won't let them rebuild in their old location so they are in the process of renovating a space up the road but it won't be ready any time real soon I fear.
Again, a bbq joint but B&C Market BBQ just reopened at the Nashville Farmers Market House and they have KILLER CRACK grits - I call them that because they are so addictive that they sell a refillable grits bowl. But they have sides and usually a couple of meat selections
Let me know when you are coming and I'll try to remember some more places. Also depends on when you are trying to dine as some are not open nights and a lot of them aren't open weekends.
OH - Iron Pork Chop - we eat there quite often for lunch
Vittles, City Cafe East, I love the veggies at Tex's BBQ.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18736. ISO Good hometown-type places to eat in Nashville. MCM? :o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 11:31pm on 08/05/10 (11)
- OMG - SO many - Music City Missy - 2:31am on 08/06/10
- O.K. Missy, I've just got to know about Killer Crack Grits. - Melissa Dallas - 4:18pm on 08/06/10
- Yeh, me too. [NT] - Sarah in Charleston - 4:36pm on 08/06/10
- I don't know what they do - they are just great even if you don't particularly like grits - Music City Missy - 7:29pm on 08/06/10
- We had a dish called Killer Grits in North carolina. - CynUpstateNY - 12:34am on 08/07/10
- I think MCM needs some company---Road Trip?? [NT] - AngAk - 5:15pm on 08/06/10
- The old Jeep has another trip in her? Boy, would that be fun!! [NT] - Nan - 1:51pm on 08/07/10
- Here's something from the newspaper today on non-touristy places to take people [LINK] - Music City Missy - 7:26pm on 08/06/10
- Thanks Melissa - good timing... but I'm not coming, it's my sister. She's the - DawnNYS - 8:57pm on 08/07/10
- Where were they wanting to go? - Music City Missy - 2:44am on 08/08/10
- Thanks for the tips! I know they mentioned the Chihuly exhibit. I think it - DawnNYS - 11:25pm on 08/11/10