Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Lana in FL||
I prefer Fresh Market. to Whole Foods
Joined: Oct 8, 2007
Posted to Thread #18886 at 4:07 pm on Aug 28, 2010
FM has the best bread, namely the frozen Portuguese rolls. We never buy those that are out ready baked, but ask for the frozen rolls, which we heat for about 7 minutes, and they are amazing. Each time we serve these to others, they take a bite, then comment on the flavor. They also have great olive bread and cheese buns. Their dried herbs are fresh and reasonably priced. Their ground ginger is better than Penzeys', IMO, and their curry is very similar to what I grew up on, so I really like it. Their wine and beer selection is good, and their fresh fruit and vegetables are great. Their flat parsley comes in huge great healthy bunches, unlike the limp tiny things that pretend to be parsley at Publix, and the lettuce we buy there lasts as long as we need it to. In fact, the only lettuce that I prefer to theirs is the new boxes of 6 little artisan lettuces from Costco, which are not only adorable and pretty, but taste way better than even Boston lettuce.
I know lots of people don't like Fresh Market. I laughed at a friend who had one open nearby, and complained that she hated it and it was So Expensive, and she wished that Whole Foods had opened instead. I can't afford anything except maybe a bar of chocolate at Whole Foods, and I don't actually want to buy all that much that I find there on a regular basis (except the cheeses, oh my gosh, the che$$$$$eses), but I would be sad without Fresh Market around the corner.
And as for Trader Joe's, every now and then DD smugly mentions that she's been there... grrrr. The article was really interesting.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18886. The Trader Joe's Story from Fortune Magazine. Everything you wanted to know . . . and less! [NT] [LINK] - Steve2 in LA - 11:06pm on 08/27/10 (15)
- Very good article! I couldn't do without my Trader Joe's... people always seems surprised - cheezz - 11:25pm on 08/27/10
- We're leaving next week for two weeks. Plan on TJ's on the way down to Va. - CynUpstateNY - 6:06am on 08/28/10
- I prefer Fresh Market. to Whole Foods - Lana in FL - 4:07pm on 08/28/10
- I agree, we have both FM and WF, prefer FM. The chicken and pork products are excellent and go on - Curious1 - 4:36pm on 08/28/10
- A hearty vote for Fresh Market over Whole Foods. Both very near my - Janet in NC - 6:21pm on 08/28/10
- I'm not wild about Fresh Market either. I bought "fresh" trout fillets there, took them home, opened [LINK] - Meryl - 9:09pm on 08/28/10
- I guess if it was called "UNFresh Market", no one would come :) [NT] - cheezz - 10:40pm on 08/28/10
- Ha! [NT] - Meryl - 11:24pm on 08/28/10
- I prefer Safeway or Fred Meyer, cuz, that's what I got---snif. [NT] - AngAk - 2:44pm on 08/30/10
- the house across the street is up for sale :) [NT] - cheezz - 6:48pm on 08/30/10
- Very interesting business model. Thanks for posting. [NT] - barb_b - 9:20am on 08/28/10
- thanks for the link Timely for me since - whinecountry - 8:00pm on 08/29/10
- Another TJs half and half fan here. Speaking of chips....have you tried their sea salt pita chips? - Pat-NoCal - 8:06pm on 09/02/10
- sometimes I'm really glad that I'm thousands of miles from a TJ. [NT] - AngAk - 4:54pm on 09/03/10
- :-) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 6:54pm on 09/03/10