Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
well, for some reason I've never posted it!! REC: Grammy's French Toast
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18890 at 1:36 am on Sep 1, 2010
Grammy’s French Toast
This is great because you can bake it straight from the freezer in about 10 minutes
1 cup half & half
2 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. nutmeg [I don’t like nutmeg, so I use cinnamon]
1 loaf french bread, unsliced
1. Cut french bread in thick slices (at least 1” thick). Lay them in a single layer in a large shallow baking pan. 2. Mix together the rest of the ingredients with a wire whisk and pour over bread. Using a fork, gently lift and flip over each piece while tilting pan to be sure each piece is well coated. Do this until most of the egg mixture is absorbed into the bread. Place in freezer until firm - at least a couple of hours.
3. With spatula, remove each piece from pan and place in a zippered freezer bag.
4. To bake: heat oven to 450 deg. Butter both sides of a frozen toast and place on baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes until well browned. If you are doing this in a toaster oven, place the buttered toast on a square piece of foil and place in toaster oven.
Note: if you want to eat some of this right away, you can cook it right after the soaking process in step 2.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- Dawn, what bran muffin recipe do you use? [NT] - lizzy - 12:06pm on 08/29/10
- From the back of an old Kellogg's box - also the one my mother uses - DawnNYS - 1:18pm on 08/29/10
- Thanks! My favorite had 100% Bran and All Bran...and I - lizzy - 1:26pm on 08/29/10
- 'Can't read your messsage, Lizzy... repost using "percent" instead of the percent sign :o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 3:08pm on 08/29/10
- Reposting...didn't know about the percent glitch! - lizzy - 11:22am on 08/30/10
- I think they're also called Bran Buds... I used Fiber One "pellets" this time - DawnNYS - 8:59pm on 08/30/10
- Another Bran Muffin recipe. - Elenor - 3:23pm on 08/30/10
- Thanks, Elenor! [NT] - lizzy - 3:33pm on 08/30/10
- Ok, maybe not as 'healthy' as yours, but this is our favorite- super fast and easy [LINK] - cheezz - 10:52pm on 08/30/10
- Looks good. I like the large recipe. I freeze muffins for the kids for school luches. Thanks. [NT] - Elenor - 11:42pm on 08/30/10
- Elenor - did you ever see the freezer french toast recipe I posted? My kids lived on these - cheezz - 3:38am on 08/31/10
- Elenor - did you ever see the freezer french toast recipe I posted? My kids lived on these - cheezz - 3:40am on 08/31/10
- whoops! now I know how things get posted twice.... I was impatient and hit 'submit' again! [NT] - cheezz - 3:40am on 08/31/10
- I don't recall seeing your freezer french toast recipe, Cheezz, and I can't seem to find it. - Elenor - 7:52am on 08/31/10
- well, for some reason I've never posted it!! REC: Grammy's French Toast - cheezz - 1:36am on 09/01/10
- Thanks, Cheezz [NT] - Elenor - 2:33am on 09/01/10
- Thanks! I'm not looking for healthy, so this is perfect! [NT] - lizzy - 11:20pm on 09/02/10
- My Weekend Six -- the fantasy edition - Traca - 7:32pm on 08/29/10
- golly, I think I need to move down there to help you out. [NT] - AngAk - 7:06pm on 08/30/10
- Come on down, Ang! :) [NT] - Traca - 3:45am on 09/01/10
- Oh My, Oh My, Oh My, and Wow!!!!!! [NT] - Nan - 7:46pm on 08/30/10