Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
A few thoughts:
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18908 at 2:02 am on Sep 3, 2010
1. I really don't think there was some sinister plot to get rid of Gourmet on the part of Conde Nast. The magazine was a casualty of ad rates that fell 42% in the first quarter of 2009, and of stagnant circulation growth.
2. Bon Appetit had better circulation (1.4 million) than Gourmet--980,000--and slightly higher reader average incomes: $83,563, compared to Gourmet's $81,179. On the advice of the McKinsey consulting firm, the company chose to ax Gourmet, not Bon Appetit. This isn't sick--it's economics.
3. Maybe, just maybe, someone at Conde Nast was actually shrewd about Gourmet: CEO Chuck Townsend's 10/2/09 memo states that they remain committed to the brand, and boy, do they ever. Gourmet is now poised to launch again as the Gourmet Live app and in the newsstand-only editions mentioned in Orchid's link. It's entirely possible that they decided to kill it with the knowledge that they could bring some aspect of the brand back in a year. That wouldn't surprise me.
So while I agree that it's weasely, I'm not sure what is really "sick" about it. It seems like smart brand management (or recovery) to me, from an economic perspective. From the consumer side, it's a good question: would you rather have a little Gourmet than none at all?
Other messages in this thread:
- 18908. Gourmet making a comeback? Did anyone else see this? [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 3:39am on 09/01/10 (9)
- Condenast can go....OK, I better not say it! [NT] - Kendall - 4:08am on 09/01/10
- Long run? Short pier? I'm with you on that. Cancel subscriptions, then come out with a $10 version. - Steve2 in LA - 6:42pm on 09/01/10
- I call Condinaste a lot worse than weasels. You know why Steve. Sick behavior on their side, SICK!!! [NT] - Kendall - 7:42pm on 09/01/10
- Ok, I'll bite. Why are they so sick? [NT] - ErininNY - 1:07am on 09/02/10
- Check out my last post on this thread, and you can see my 2 other posts on Condenasty. LOL [NT] - Kendall - 1:26am on 09/02/10
- It is very sad what is happening to magazines, newspapers, and television today - KarenNoCA - 11:59pm on 09/01/10
- Conde Nast is not going down, I spelled it wrong - Kendall - 12:16am on 09/02/10
- A few thoughts: - ErininNY - 2:02am on 09/03/10
- Erin, you know what you are talking about, and I wouldn't argue. But, I find it difficult to ... - Michael in Phoenix - 7:05am on 09/03/10