Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Pass the BUTTER, PLEASE!
Joined: Aug 4, 2006
Posted to Thread #18925 at 5:44 pm on Sep 3, 2010
This came to me from one of my friends who is studying to beccome a Naturopathic Doctor:
Be sure to read to the end. A couple of things may surprise you about margarine.
Pass The Butter. Please. This is interesting.
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.
It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.
DO YOU KNOW The difference between margarine and butter? Read on to the end... this gets very interesting!
1. Both have the same amount of calories.
2. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.
3. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.
4. Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
5. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and
only because they are added!
6. Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.
7. Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .
And now, for Margarine..
1. Very High in Transfatty acids.
2. Triples risk of coronary heart disease .
3. Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
4. Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..
5. Lowers quality of breast milk.
6. Decreases immune response.
7. Decreases insulin response.
And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT
These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance). You can try this yourself:
Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:
* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)
* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!
Pass the BUTTER, PLEASE!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18925. Pass the BUTTER, PLEASE! - Kendall - 5:44pm on 09/03/10 (8)
- Nothing like a big old slab of toast with a slathering of tupperware and jam! [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 6:37pm on 09/03/10
- Haven't we asked what a "naturopathic doctor" is before? [NT] - Janet in NC - 9:27pm on 09/03/10
- Yes, Melissa in Dallas did I and I just saw that and sent her a private message. Here's the link: - Kendall - 9:37pm on 09/03/10
- My brother-in-law is a doctor and refuses to let his family use margarine - told me much the same - cheezz - 1:02am on 09/04/10
- I know cheezz, it's really bad, and then theater popcorn is GREAT! - Kendall - 2:35am on 09/04/10
- If my body WOULDN'T process it, and it just passed thru, that would be ok with me! - cheezz - 6:49pm on 09/04/10
- Brown Butter Spread (T & T) - Sylvia - 9:55am on 09/04/10
- I've got to try this one! [NT] - AngAk - 2:27pm on 09/07/10