Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I finally used my new Cuisinart ice cream maker and made chocolate custard ice cream!
Joined: Dec 20, 2005
Posted to Thread #18940 at 2:59 pm on Sep 5, 2010
My sister helped, as she is my resident ice cream expert. It was so much fun, I wrote a post about it.
So here's my recipe:
HEATHERíS FIRST CHOCOLATE CUSTARD ICE CREAM
2 cups half and half
1 tsp vanilla paste
4 oz 100% cacao mass (I used a combination of Claudio Corralo and a Venezuelan bar)
a pinch of Kosher salt
3 large egg yolks (or 2 jumbo yolks) beaten slightly
1 tsp flour
a mounded 1/3 c sugar
1 T espresso or strong coffee
2 T creme de cacao liqueur
1 c heavy whipping cream
Heat the half and half in a sauce pan over medium heat until scalded. The cream is scalded properly when there is a rim of bubbles around the edge of the pan. Stir in the chocolate, broken into pieces, and the vanilla paste and stir until the chocolate is melted.
In a small bowl mix the yolks, sugar, flour and salt and mix well. Whisk into hot milk in dribbles and mix well. Over low heat cook the custard until it is very thick and coats the back of the spoon.
Strain into a metal or glass bowl and chill well. I pressed a piece of waxed paper onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
When you are ready to churn the ice cream, gently mix the whipping cream, espresso and liqueur into the custard base and mix well.
Freeze per the directions of the machine.
Harden or cure the ice cream in the freezer overnight or for 3 hours minimum. Allow to soften for 30 minutes before serving.
Makes 1 1/2 pints
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Other messages in this thread:
- 18940. I finally used my new Cuisinart ice cream maker and made chocolate custard ice cream! [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 2:59pm on 09/05/10 (8)
- Can we start a thread (or can you point me to one) about your favorite ice cream recipes? - Heather_in_SF - 2:59pm on 09/05/10
- My favorite Ice Cream recipe: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream - Meryl - 3:30pm on 09/05/10
- Another great recipe: Chocolate Gelato [LINK] - Meryl - 3:32pm on 09/05/10
- Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream - Meryl - 3:34pm on 09/05/10
- Heather, there is already a link in Great Threads you can add to... here's the original link > [LINK] - cheezz - 12:20am on 09/06/10
- This is inspiring me to use mine - also new for several months. [NT] - elaine - 12:28am on 09/06/10
- Okay Elaine, please use yours, and tell ke what you try, we can learn together! [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 3:04am on 09/06/10
- Thank you! This is going to be fun!! [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 3:06am on 09/06/10