Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
ISO: Help please with this Caramel Frosting (click to see recipe)
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #18943 at 5:06 pm on Sep 5, 2010
First let me say that the cake part turned out great - so delicious. My only change to the recipe is that I added an egg yolk.
But I somehow TOTALLY screwed up the caramel frosting. I thought I did everything right but when I went to Step 6 the frosting never thickened. Finally after 20 minutes I thought, perhaps if I added powdered sugar to it that would help. 32 ounces later, and with a total corruption of the flavor, all I had was a glaze consistency of a light tan 'frosting', sickenly sweet - not good at all.
I should probably say that when I added the warm milk mixture to the caramelized sugar much of it hardened immediately but as the concoction cooked the harden mixture melted.
I spent way too many hours on this...I was going to tackle Bakerella's Cupcake Pops tomorrow but after this disaster I lost my enthusiasm....
Thanks for your help!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18943. ISO: Help please with this Caramel Frosting (click to see recipe) [LINK] - deb-in-MI - 5:06pm on 09/05/10 (6)
- I believe you were on the right track Deb- but you thought the icing would - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:48pm on 09/05/10
- I don't think you got it to 235. Did you use a candy thermometer? [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 6:49pm on 09/05/10
- Deb, I wish I had an answer for you but I am a caramel dunce! I would love to know tho. [NT] - Barbara in VA - 7:57pm on 09/05/10
- Deb, my hunch is with Melissa--if you didn't get the sugar/milk mixture to the soft ball stage (235* - Joe - 10:15pm on 09/05/10
- I'm guessing it's a combo of not reaching 235.... - deb-in-MI - 7:59am on 09/06/10
- Thank you everyone! Will try again soon! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 7:59am on 09/06/10