Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Viennese Kipferl (Crescents) (text)
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #21199 at 4:37 pm on Dec 15, 2011
2 oz. FRESH yeast (look in the refrigerated
foods section at the store)
2 tbl. cold whole milk
1 c. plus 2 tbl. bread flour
pinch of salt
7 tbl. unsalted butter, chilled,
cut into small pieces.
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 egg yolks
3 tbl. superfine sugar
5 tbl. whole milk
1/2 cup walnuts, finely ground
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 tbl. superfine sugar
2 oz. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 tbl. dark rum or cognac
1 egg, lightly beaten
Prepare the filling. Bring milk to boil,
remove from heat and stir in the walnuts.
Leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Add zest,
sugar, and melted butter; blend well and stir
in rum. Set aside to cool.
Prepare the yeast dough: Crumble the yeast
into the cold milk and blend well so that it
dissolves well. Sift the flour and salt onto
the bread board and drop in the butter
pieces. Rub to a coarse crumb with your
fingers. Add the zest, yolks, and sugar.
Blend lightly, stir in the yeast mixture.
Quickly combine all the ingredients and knead
to a fine dough.
Roll the dough out twice, then form into a
ball and cut in two. Cover one piece while
working with the other. Flour the work
surface and the rolling pin and roll the
dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 4"
squares. Spread a teaspoon of filling
across the middle of each square. Using a
knife to help you, roll the squares up
diagonally from corner to corner into a
cylindrical shape, then bend them into
crescents and pinch the ends and seams to
seal in the filling.
Place the kipferl well apart on lightly
buttered baking sheets and brush with the
beaten egg. Cover and let rise in a warm
place until doubled in bulk.
Bake for 20-30 minutes at 375F. or until
golden. Dust with vanilla or powdered sugar
Other messages in this thread:
- 21199. Does anyone have a link to the old Cookie Forum at Gail's? - Richard in Cincy - 3:12pm on 12/15/11 (26)
- Here you go, Richard. - ErininNY - 3:58pm on 12/15/11
- Argh! Of course I forgot to link those. :( More espresso. - ErininNY - 3:59pm on 12/15/11
- Erin, thanks, but I'm just getting "the way back machine" page with the link and constant reloading [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 4:33pm on 12/15/11
- Sorry--it was loading fine for me. Hope this helps for copy and paste purposes! [NT] - ErininNY - 4:41pm on 12/15/11
- It loaded for me but took a looong time. So happy to see all those - thanks! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 7:55pm on 12/15/11
- You're welcome! :) [NT] - ErininNY - 12:42am on 12/17/11
- Chocolate Pfeffernusse (text) - ErininNY - 4:36pm on 12/15/11
- Viennese Kipferl (Crescents) (text) - ErininNY - 4:37pm on 12/15/11
- Lebkuchen (text) - ErininNY - 4:37pm on 12/15/11
- Vanilla Kipferl (Crescents) (text) - ErininNY - 4:38pm on 12/15/11
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookie. (Just for the heck of it, since it was in with the others.) ;) - ErininNY - 4:40pm on 12/15/11
- Erin, I can get to the link and see the forums with the search option, but the search fails. - MarilynFL - 5:04pm on 12/15/11
- Marilyn, the search didn't work for me, either. - ErininNY - 6:01pm on 12/15/11
- in our T& T, Sandi copied most of the post [NT] [LINK] - AngAk1 - 7:15pm on 12/15/11
- The Zimtsterne are in there, but I didn't see the others... [NT] - ErininNY - 7:21pm on 12/15/11
- Zimtsterne (text) - ErininNY - 2:16am on 12/16/11
- One of the posts implied there was a great Cranberry & Lemon Cookie at 197.7, but I go to that post - wigs - 6:04pm on 12/16/11
- Wigs, maybe this is it--the provenance is Gail's Swap. [LINK] - ErininNY - 9:40pm on 12/16/11
- Thanks Erin!!! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 5:19pm on 12/15/11
- Bitteschön! [NT] - ErininNY - 6:44pm on 12/15/11
- another great cookie thread is posted in T&T great threads [NT] [LINK] - AngAk1 - 7:22pm on 12/15/11
- If you know the names you can do a g**gle search for them... - MariaDNoCA - 7:41pm on 12/15/11
- I clicked on "impatient" and that brings up the cookie recipes quickly by the numbers. So you have - elaine - 4:36am on 12/16/11
- I bumped up that old thread over on EPI. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk1 - 7:00pm on 12/16/11