Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Anyone else here with experience from cooking at a mountain cabin?
Joined: Feb 5, 2006
Posted to Thread #23909 at 5:17 pm on Feb 23, 2013
Long story short: I like the mountains, so I bought a mountain cabin last fall. It has electricity, but the kitchen is - well, small! So I have to plan the meals carefully because we need to bring all the food up here that we're going to eat (I forgot butter the first weekend we spent up here and it was quite interesting!) and alas, all the food that we don't eat back home. So for packing reasons alone I try to measure the food acurately.
I'm vegetarian, DH eats everything and so we tend to make two dinners (or one vegetaian dinner with a piece of meat for DH).
I made a veggie stew on Thursday - and added meat for DH, and served it with brown rice. I re-heated it yesterday, and today we're having hot dogs (soy hot dogs for me. Yay - not!).
Tomorrow is spaghetti pomodoro-day, and then we are going home.
We really need to spice things up here. Any ideas, my friends?
"I Love Cooking With Wine. Sometimes I Even Put It In The Food."
Other messages in this thread:
- 23909. Anyone else here with experience from cooking at a mountain cabin? - EvaN - 5:17pm on 02/23/13 (26)
- Let me add: The cabin doesn't have water (we have to carry it inside from a pump house outside) - EvaN - 5:21pm on 02/23/13
- two things that I'd start with are: 1) cast iron dutch oven - pmassell_93 - 6:17pm on 02/23/13
- Me, I'd start with reservations at the nearest Hilton....I know, I'm a wimp :) [NT] - cheezz - 3:02am on 02/24/13
- LoL, Cheezz :-D. I do own an electric tea kettle (I drink tea every day) so I have that. A cast iron - EvaN - 8:00am on 02/24/13
- I can offer you a link to Christina Cooks. I watch her regularly on TV and [LINK] - FloriSandy - 3:33am on 02/24/13
- What a great site. I've never heard of her before, but I'm definitely checking her out! [NT] - EvaN - 7:56am on 02/24/13
- I can offer you a link to Christina Cooks. I watch her regularly on TV and [LINK] - FloriSandy - 3:44am on 02/24/13
- Here's what I mean about the chafing dish/sterno set here at link. Sorry about the double vision. [LINK] - FloriSandy - 3:57am on 02/24/13
- Not that I own one, but a crock pot seems perfect for this. - MariaDNoCA - 4:15am on 02/24/13
- I don't think I could live without my crockpot! [NT] - DawnNYS - 8:54pm on 02/25/13
- I'm not sure I'd know what to do with one... - MariaDNoCA - 7:55am on 03/13/13
- Maria, I have this 1.5 quart small crock pot that I just love for the 2 of us. bought it on a whim [LINK] - AngAk1 - 6:16pm on 03/13/13
- Congratulations! I have such fond memories of family mountain vacations. What's the elevation? - Joe - 4:26am on 02/24/13
- Joe, GREAT idea about freezing food and bringing it up before it's thawed. Our cabin - EvaN - 7:46am on 02/24/13
- I don't know how my parents did it either. With 8 kids and 2 weeks' worth of supplies all crammed in - Joe - 5:13pm on 02/24/13
- I'm sorry, I have to ask... - orchid - 5:41pm on 02/24/13
- LOL. No, he was on top of the Mercedes. [NT] - Joe - 10:21pm on 02/24/13
- What dog? :o( [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:50pm on 02/25/13
- We were making catty references to Mitt Romney's poor Irish setter. I know I know, - Joe - 11:56pm on 02/25/13
- Oh.. I thought I blacked out for a minute ;o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 8:36pm on 02/27/13
- Hi Eva. Nice! I'm not promoting any particular brand, but the other day on [LINK] - DawnNYS - 8:51pm on 02/25/13
- my boss has one type of this cooker and loves it. great for roasting meat/poultry [NT] - AngAk1 - 1:58am on 02/26/13
- I love the induction cooker, Dawn. DH is looking into it now. :-) [NT] - EvaN - 7:35pm on 02/27/13
- a small gas or electric grill. small canisters of fuel aren't too hard to cart up if gas. - AngAk1 - 2:02am on 02/26/13
- Ang, I never thought of a grill, but that's a wonderful idea. As a matter of fact, I do have a small - EvaN - 7:37pm on 02/27/13
- yay, re-purposing. those small grills are great if it's just the 2 of you. [NT] - AngAk1 - 11:46pm on 02/27/13