Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
ooh ya. Trout with Roasted Pecan Sauce
Joined: Oct 13, 2010
Posted to Thread #24525 at 2:36 pm on Jun 21, 2013
My fisherman father would cringe if he saw this being done to a fresh trout but we loved this one. My parents believed that fresh out of the lake they should be pan-fried simply in butter. Little did they know.............
Trout with Roasted Pecan Sauce
Cajun Creole Cooking by Terry Thompson
This innovative dish, made popular in New Orleans by the Commander's Palace Restaurant, is a delicious combination of two native favorites, Gulf speckled trout and pecans toasted to deep-brown perfection.
Roasted-Pecan Sauce, see below
Pecan Garnish, see below
6 (6- to 8-oz.) Gulf speckled-trout fillets, skinned
About 2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons red (cayenne) pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
1/3 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs beaten with 1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
½ cup unsalted butter or margarine, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
3 medium garlic cloves
2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Prepare sauce. Prepare garnish. Position oven rack 6 inches below heat source. Preheat broiler. Pat fish fillets dry with paper towels; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne with a fork. In a heavy 12-inch skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and oil. When oil is hot, dredge fillets in seasoned flour; shake to remove excess. Dip into egg-and-milk mixture. Then dredge again in seasoned flour to coat well; shake off excess. Gently lower coated fillets into hot oil in batches. Saute about 4 minutes on each side, turning once. Drain on paper towels; lay in an ungreased baking pan. Top each fish fillet with 3 tablespoons pecan sauce; broil under preheated broiler until sauce is slightly softened, about 30 seconds. To serve, place fillets on individual plates. Top with Pecan Garnish. Garnish with parsley sprigs.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
To prepare Roasted-Pecan Sauce, preheat oven to 350F (175C). Spread pecans in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Roast in preheated oven until a deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Place 3/4 cup roasted pecans in a food processor fitted with the steel blade; reserve remaining 1/2 cup pecans for garnish. Add butter or margarine, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, lemon juice and salt. With motor running, add garlic through feed tube to mince. Stop machine; scrape down side of bowl. Process to a smooth paste.
To prepare Pecan Garnish, in an 8-inch skillet over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Stir in Worcestershire sauce. Add reserved 1/2 cup toasted pecans. Saute 2 minutes, shaking pan back and forth.
Other messages in this thread:
- 24525. Trout. I got some local trout from a fisherman friend. Favorite Trout recipes? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:27pm on 06/20/13 (18)
- We cook ours on the grill on a cedar board. Delicious! [NT] - Lana in FL - 11:34pm on 06/20/13
- 3 Favorites: Pan-Fried with scallions & white wine, - Meryl - 12:10am on 06/21/13
- Would like all of them. And yours too, Lana. Thanks. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:39am on 06/21/13
- Here are the 3 recipes: [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:01am on 06/22/13
- Thanks Meryl- I have a lot of trout and will try yours too [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:14pm on 06/22/13
- It's not really a recipe. - Lana in FL - 2:22pm on 06/23/13
- Wrap whole trout in bacon - colleenmomof2 - 6:52am on 06/21/13
- Do you put anything in the cavity Colleen? [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:09pm on 06/21/13
- That's a rather personal question, don't you think? [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 4:41pm on 06/21/13
- Ha! [NT] - Meryl - 10:58pm on 06/22/13
- Nothing in the cavity of the trout - colleenmomof2 - 9:51pm on 06/22/13
- Smoke them. I used to smoke them all of the time in San Diego - Dawn_MO - 7:17am on 06/21/13
- It was 1975 and I was making a "second date" dinner. Why I picked trout is beyond me, [LINK] - MarilynFL - 7:43am on 06/21/13
- Yup. This is the one. But I'll try the others later too. Thanks to you all. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:15pm on 06/21/13
- Dusted in flour, fried in butter then slivered almonds in the butter until browned. - Heather_in_SF - 1:18pm on 06/21/13
- Yum. Doesn't get any better than that. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:49pm on 06/22/13
- ooh ya. Trout with Roasted Pecan Sauce - Marg CDN2 - 2:36pm on 06/21/13
- Yup. Will try this too. Thank you everyone! Great ideas. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:47pm on 06/21/13