Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Some are Americanized, some are not . . .
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #27202 at 10:27 pm on Jan 15, 2015
Generally the quick, hot-table types of restaurants "dumb down" their food, but I have had some tasty stuff from them (and some not-so-tasty as well).
For about a 20-30 minute drive we can get to some ____-town areas: Mexico, Thai, China, Korea. About 45 minutes away are some really good restaurant pickins at some intensely Chinese transmogrified areas. And when I say good stuff, I mean good stuff! Competition is fierce, both in price and flavor, and all of us picky customers encourage this. I like to check out restaurants before visiting and I usually do this when shopping at the local Chinese/Oriental grocery. I look for a place that is crowded with people, crowded with tables, busy as heck. Then I go back mid afternoon or early-early for lunch and indulge in some very tasty stuff. It is also nice to go when the places are very busy as then you see a lot of stuff being served, and then you can tell your server--I want that dish over there. Some of these places have only minimal descriptions of the food in english, and sometimes we just point at something on the menu and we "takes our chances". Haven't been disappointed yet.
Jeeze, it is fun. I wish I could do it more often.
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 27202. Most popular cuisine by state. This is kinda interesting...what do you think? [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 2:28pm on 01/14/15 (20)
- what is a "gastropub"? [NT] - Janet in NC - 5:02pm on 01/14/15
- This is what Wiki says. I caught the end of Restaurant Impossible - orchid - 5:11pm on 01/14/15
- Oops, my house is chaos right now. Forgot the link [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 5:36pm on 01/14/15
- We had a Gastropub here and it did not stay in business very long, no one went there - KarenNoCA - 5:18pm on 01/14/15
- Hahaha...yes, gastropub sounds like a pub where you get gas...ugh [NT] - cheezz - 9:05pm on 01/14/15
- Gastropub around here boils down to: a bar that serves very decent to good food. . . - mistral - 11:49pm on 01/14/15
- Yea, and around here we are still in cowboy country where meat and potatoes - KarenNoCA - 12:04am on 01/15/15
- A lot of the bar & grill/gastro pubs around here are not chain operations. . . - mistral - 12:14am on 01/15/15
- I wanna live where you live. [NT] - orchid - 12:29am on 01/15/15
- Oh what fun that must be in have all the ethnic choices to dine in. Do they keep true to their food - KarenNoCA - 7:26pm on 01/15/15
- Some are Americanized, some are not . . . - mistral - 10:27pm on 01/15/15
- The gastropubs I have been to here have *amazing* food! - Lana in FL - 1:46am on 01/15/15
- Good to know, Lana! I've always wanted to go to RP but a coworker said it was - MarilynFL - 12:37pm on 01/15/15
- There are some great gastropubs in Aville--King James Public House, LAB, Barleycorns, Buffalo Nickel [NT] - charlie - 9:37pm on 01/15/15
- My house STILL ISN'T DONE. I'm in Mortgage Hell right now, emailing paperwork - MarilynFL - 4:24pm on 01/16/15
- It'll get done--hope to have you here in the Spring [NT] - charlie - 5:11pm on 01/16/15
- LOL! I used to work in commercial real estate finance. Trust me, a house is NOTHING - Traca - 1:21pm on 01/17/15
- That was great fun reading. Ohio came out the worse as far as I could see. Our daughter moved back - KarenNoCA - 11:53pm on 01/14/15
- It was interesting how they came to the results but in a long - orchid - 12:37am on 01/15/15
- Alaska Filipino???? no way. maybe 1 or 2 little mom/pop places. Korean/Hawaiian/Thai have far - AngAk1 - 1:57am on 01/21/15