Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Right now, we are full swing into tomato season. The growers are finally bringing in the heirlooms,
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #27800 at 11:05 pm on Jul 13, 2015
all the beautiful colors and so many varieties. I store all my tomatoes in a shallow basket on my cool granite counter. Big tomatoes, sit on the stem end. Smaller tomatoes are placed carefully so their weight in on two of the larger tomatoes. Cherry types are in a single layer in the basket, as well. They keep for two weeks on my counter, just fine. I check every day and use the ones that look like they are starting to wrinkle...eat them like candy. Just keep an eye out as if one starts to go, the rest are susceptible, so use it up.
Later in the season, the tomatoes do not keep as well, they begin to wrinkle and weep their juices, which attracts fruit flies. I resort to putting them into the fridge to put off the aging process for as long as it takes to use them up. This is when I start roasting my excess and make tomato sauces and pastes. The cherry tomatoes are in full swing too, and one vine can produce hundreds of the babies, I throw them into the roasting pan whole.
~*Many things will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those*~
Other messages in this thread:
- 27800. Ultimate tomato pie - Charley - 2:23pm on 07/13/15 (11)
- Oh, yeah! - Earnie - 3:48pm on 07/13/15
- Spelunking in your fridge. HA! Perfect word choice. [NT] - Traca - 5:19pm on 07/13/15
- I've always heard that putting tomatoes in the fridge is the worst thing you can do. [NT] - orchid - 6:10pm on 07/13/15
- Me too. Conversely, Nigella Lawson had a wonderful hint to cut cherry tomatoes in half and put - MarilynFL - 6:48pm on 07/13/15
- It's been my experience that it depends on the circumstances. If a tomato is perfectly ripe, a day - Curious1 - 7:53pm on 07/13/15
- You nailed it. I don't put them in the fridge--and if you do, it stops any possible - Charley - 8:33pm on 07/13/15
- Right now, we are full swing into tomato season. The growers are finally bringing in the heirlooms, - KarenNoCA - 11:05pm on 07/13/15
- That schmear of mustard on the pie crust is interesting. I have never done that.. [NT] - KarenNoCA - 5:35pm on 07/15/15
- My go-to tomato pie recipe mixes honey and stone ground mustard and paints - deb-in-MI - 6:52pm on 07/15/15
- I make a tomato thing using puff pastry. It calls for spreading Parmesan cheese on the bottom - KarenNoCA - 11:31pm on 07/15/15
- That was the first time I ever had a "tomato pie"--about 25 years ago at a catered - Charley - 12:25am on 07/16/15