Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
If it is softer than you like just cook it a couple of minutes longer next time. The pectin
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #28940 at 1:41 pm on Aug 21, 2016
just needs to find its correct "ratio" with the sugar content. BUT my other jams are softer than I usually make and I LOVE the result, mainly because it tastes so much more fruity and isn't all sweet.
I opened one of my fig jars last night and made an appy of cracker with jam and pimento cheese. Good. I'd have preferred baguette slice and then run in a hot oven.
And I know master canners won't agree but I do not water process my jams and jellies. Sterilize the jars and pour the hot jam in. Boil the lids, cap and turn upside down. The seal is excellent--and I've done it for 50 years. I have stopped the paraffin tops, but even with those, I had very few failures. Just my experience.
Other messages in this thread:
- 28940. Fig jam made. OMG--may be the best jam I've ever made. Certainly the best fig for me ever. - Charley - 5:14pm on 08/16/16 (11)
- Beautiful! How do you plan to use the jam? [NT] - Traca - 2:31am on 08/17/16
- I usually use fig jam as an appy--over chevre or cream cheese, but this is really - Charley - 10:58am on 08/17/16
- Wonderful day Jammin' I really want to get back into the groove. Your rec sounds wonderful! [NT] - barb_b - 1:10pm on 08/18/16
- My jam REALLY set up with that amount of pectin. I think it will be good but I have - Charley - 2:07pm on 08/18/16
- Very creative! I have never done fig. I have purchased fig jam, and use it on a cheese platter w - barb_b - 2:39pm on 08/18/16
- Our son makes a killer apppy with fresh figs--flour tortilla, fig slices, blue cheese, honey - Charley - 1:22pm on 08/19/16
- I do the same thing using naan:) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 2:11pm on 08/19/16
- Just made a batch of your jam --- SO good! And I don't even have it canned yet. [IMAGE] - MariaDNoCA - 9:29pm on 08/20/16
- If it is softer than you like just cook it a couple of minutes longer next time. The pectin - Charley - 1:41pm on 08/21/16
- No, the jell was perfect w 3T. Just wanted to share since you mention yours set a bit hard. Delish! [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 7:24pm on 08/21/16
- Ahh. I see==and I based mine on what I thought I saw in the closed jar--turned out to be fine - Charley - 11:42am on 08/22/16