Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
We like this Rec: Crispy Pork with Avocado Salsa and Tomato Salsa
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #29353 at 7:53 pm on Jan 11, 2017
Crispy Pork with Avocado Salsa and Tomato Salsa
Yield: 8 servings
4 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs
2 cups (or more) water
1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
6 garlic cloves, peeled
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/4 cup brandy
Warm corn tortillas
Fresh tomato salsa
Cut pork pieces crosswise into thirds. Cut off any big chunks of fat from pork and reserve; leave small pieces of fat attached to pork. Combine pork, reserved fat, 2 cups water, and next 4 ingredients in deep 12-inch skillet. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until pork is tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 45 minutes, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls if necessary to keep pork partially submerged.
Uncover; boil pork mixture until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in brandy; boil until liquid evaporates and meat browns and begins to get crisp, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Cool meat slightly. Discard any loose pieces of fat. Tear meat into strips; return to skillet. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Add 2 tablespoons water to skillet. Cover and rewarm pork over medium-low heat, stirring, about 5 minutes. Season with more salt, if desired. Transfer to bowl. Serve with warm tortillas, Avocado Salsa, and tomato salsa.
Source: 2003 Bon Appetit http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/108049
Recipe notes: In Uruapan and other parts of Michoacán, large copper cauldrons made in Santa Clara del Cobre are used to fry delicious carnitas in pork lard. This recipe has been adapted for the home cook: Meaty pork ribs are boiled, then fried in their own fat until browned. Use either purchased fresh tomato salsa or Tomato, Onion, and Serrano Chile Salsa . Accompany the carnitas with Classic Red Rice and beans.
Pat’s note: Yummy pork. Sometimes I make different salsas to go with the pork instead of using the salsa recipes attached to the pork recipe.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29353. Does anyone have a good recipe using oranges? My orange tree gave us oranges this year - KarenNoCA - 7:22pm on 01/11/17 (7)
- We like this Rec: Crispy Pork with Avocado Salsa and Tomato Salsa [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 7:53pm on 01/11/17
- I love caramelizied oranges with a touch of cognac [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 9:43pm on 01/12/17
- You can make a version of lemoncelo with oranges. [NT] - Traca - 11:22pm on 01/12/17
- I must say I've made this with oranges and.... [LINK] - SallyBR - 8:50am on 01/13/17
- Thanks all, this will give me a good start. [NT] - KarenNoCA - 2:43pm on 01/13/17
- Duck a la orange [NT] - cheezz - 1:47pm on 01/23/17
- I love Elegant Orange Blossom Cheesecake with Candied Orange Slices [LINK] - wigs - 1:05pm on 02/21/17