Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This Italian Sausage Bean and Spinach Soup was quite good. Would make again
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #29359 at 7:55 pm on Jan 12, 2017
Patís notes: Delicious! Made half the recipe using only 1 lb. Sweet Italian sausage (Trader Joes). Used conchiglie pasta. Used baby spinach and just stirred into the hot soup so it wouldn't get overdone and slimy with cooking.
Italian Sausage Bean and Spinach Soup
2 1/2 lbs Italian sausage, removed from casings
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
2 tsp dried chili pepper flakes, optional or to taste
3 tsp dried basil, or to taste
2 -3 quarts chicken broth
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups large uncooked shell pasta
12 oz fresh spinach (can use frozen)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, or to taste
salt and black pepper
Heat olive oil in a 8-10-quart pot over medium-high heat.
Add in the sausage meat; cook until browned (about 8-10 minutes) remove the meat to a plate or bowl.
Add in the onion, carrots, basil and dried chili flakes; saute for about 5-6 minutes adding in the garlic the last couple minutes.
Add in chicken broth, tomatoes with juice and drained beans; bring to a boil, cover with lid and cook at medium-low for about 15 minutes (Patís note: original recipe called for30 minutes but 15 was plenty to blend the flavors).
Add in pasta shells; reduce heat and simmer until the pasta is firm-tender (about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Skim any fat that has accumulated on top of the soup, then stir in about 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and the fresh spinach; cook until the spinach is just wilted (about 1-2 minutes).
Season with salt and pepper.
Pass more Parmesan cheese at the table.
Yield: 5.5 quarts (approx)
Source: Kittencal http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-sausage-bean-and-spinach-soup-177167
Other messages in this thread:
- 29359. Anyone else in soup and stew making mode? Any new ones (or old faves) to share? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 7:54pm on 01/12/17 (26)
- This Italian Sausage Bean and Spinach Soup was quite good. Would make again [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 7:55pm on 01/12/17
- I just re-posted this above, and I'll post it again, Curious' White Bean, Kale and Sausage Soup [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 8:42pm on 01/12/17
- I must make this. Thank you Joe and C1. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:39pm on 01/12/17
- Yes! I've been playing with my pressure cooker, making stocks for soups. [LINK] - MoNJ - 9:59am on 01/13/17
- One reviewer makes 10 lbs of the meatballs to have on hand in freezer. Must - Pat-NoCal - 10:09am on 01/13/17
- Get out! I hadn't seen that. I just used that link for convenience, but the recipe - MoNJ - 12:09pm on 01/13/17
- Mo, did you make the entire soup in the PC or just the broth. This looks really good [NT] - barb_b - 10:29am on 01/13/17
- Just the stock, Barb. I'm still new to the PC, so taking it one step at a time. [LINK] - MoNJ - 10:53am on 01/13/17
- Sausage-Lentil Soup a favorite at my house - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:35am on 01/13/17
- Evelyn from Athens's Youvarlakia Avgolemono- absolutely wonderful - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:37am on 01/13/17
- I made this last night for the umpteenth time. It is so good. - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:06pm on 01/14/17
- My favorite creamy Wild Rice Soup with Bacon - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:38am on 01/13/17
- This is the soup you sent me home with last Christmas. Sooo tasty. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:00pm on 01/13/17
- Always a MN girl at heart. :) [NT] - Dawn_MO - 11:19am on 01/15/17
- You betcha. Comfort food rules! [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:42am on 01/15/17
- Really tasty Corn and Potato Chowder - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:39am on 01/13/17
- Old Fashioned Chicken Fricassee - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:42am on 01/13/17
- This sounds good! I will try next week.... [NT] - MoNJ - 12:11pm on 01/13/17
- Pork and Poblano Stew from Michael in Phoenix - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:44am on 01/13/17
- REC: Cauliflower Soup with White Truffle Oil [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:54pm on 01/15/17
- REC: Creamy Ham and Corn Chowder from Julie/WA [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:55pm on 01/15/17
- One of my favs - REC: Gingered Carrot Soup [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:56pm on 01/15/17
- Curried Pumpkin Soup [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:57pm on 01/15/17
- One from Mimi that is super - and I am not a lentil fan...REC: Greek-Style Lentils [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:59pm on 01/15/17
- I love soups and stews and make them all the time... - Richard in Cincy - 6:20pm on 01/15/17
- I do those too. Wing it and - Pat-NoCal - 3:12pm on 01/16/17