Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
I love soups and stews and make them all the time...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29359 at 6:20 pm on Jan 15, 2017
but alas, I never follow a recipe. Soups and stews here are getting rid of leftovers, boiling the remains of the roast beast, and cleaning out the veg in the frig.
I made a fabulous Polish pork stew from the remains of the Christmas Eve feast, filled with chunks of roast pork, dumplings, sauerkraut, glazed carrots, etc. all sitting on the stock from the boiled pork carcass and leftover gravy.
However, my one trick with a huge cauldron of soup/stew is garnishment.
It truly is amazing how your basic comfort food chicken-noodle turns into a bowl of sinus-clearing Sichuan when I add grated fresh ginger, mashed garlic, chili oil, sesame oil, white pepper, cilantro, green onion, and soy sauce.
I do several ethnic "flavor profile" garnishings like this when I'm getting tired of the soup. Totally transforms it into something new and wonderful.
Southwest: to that same chicken noodle I add lots of dried chiles, cumin, and garlic, give it a simmer, then garnish with cilantro, sliced radishes, shredded cabbage, or throw in some fried tortilla strips.
Oaxacan: When I make mole, I always have left over sauce. I freeze this. Dump it into the chicken noodle soup, garnish with cilantro and chopped onions.
Thai: coconut milk, fish sauce, white pepper, thai curry paste, ginger, galangal, cilantro.
So many ways to go.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29359. Anyone else in soup and stew making mode? Any new ones (or old faves) to share? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 7:54pm on 01/12/17 (26)
- This Italian Sausage Bean and Spinach Soup was quite good. Would make again [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 7:55pm on 01/12/17
- I just re-posted this above, and I'll post it again, Curious' White Bean, Kale and Sausage Soup [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 8:42pm on 01/12/17
- I must make this. Thank you Joe and C1. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:39pm on 01/12/17
- Yes! I've been playing with my pressure cooker, making stocks for soups. [LINK] - MoNJ - 9:59am on 01/13/17
- One reviewer makes 10 lbs of the meatballs to have on hand in freezer. Must - Pat-NoCal - 10:09am on 01/13/17
- Get out! I hadn't seen that. I just used that link for convenience, but the recipe - MoNJ - 12:09pm on 01/13/17
- Mo, did you make the entire soup in the PC or just the broth. This looks really good [NT] - barb_b - 10:29am on 01/13/17
- Just the stock, Barb. I'm still new to the PC, so taking it one step at a time. [LINK] - MoNJ - 10:53am on 01/13/17
- Sausage-Lentil Soup a favorite at my house - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:35am on 01/13/17
- Evelyn from Athens's Youvarlakia Avgolemono- absolutely wonderful - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:37am on 01/13/17
- I made this last night for the umpteenth time. It is so good. - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:06pm on 01/14/17
- My favorite creamy Wild Rice Soup with Bacon - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:38am on 01/13/17
- This is the soup you sent me home with last Christmas. Sooo tasty. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:00pm on 01/13/17
- Always a MN girl at heart. :) [NT] - Dawn_MO - 11:19am on 01/15/17
- You betcha. Comfort food rules! [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:42am on 01/15/17
- Really tasty Corn and Potato Chowder - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:39am on 01/13/17
- Old Fashioned Chicken Fricassee - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:42am on 01/13/17
- This sounds good! I will try next week.... [NT] - MoNJ - 12:11pm on 01/13/17
- Pork and Poblano Stew from Michael in Phoenix - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:44am on 01/13/17
- REC: Cauliflower Soup with White Truffle Oil [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:54pm on 01/15/17
- REC: Creamy Ham and Corn Chowder from Julie/WA [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:55pm on 01/15/17
- One of my favs - REC: Gingered Carrot Soup [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:56pm on 01/15/17
- Curried Pumpkin Soup [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:57pm on 01/15/17
- One from Mimi that is super - and I am not a lentil fan...REC: Greek-Style Lentils [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 4:59pm on 01/15/17
- I love soups and stews and make them all the time... - Richard in Cincy - 6:20pm on 01/15/17
- I do those too. Wing it and - Pat-NoCal - 3:12pm on 01/16/17