Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Lisa - LA||
This might be the recipe - cooked on the stalk, they look beautiful!
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #29360 at 9:44 pm on Jan 16, 2017
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Serves: 6 - 8 Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cooking Time: 55 Minutes
1 TJ's Brussels Sprouts Stalk (Seasonal)
3/4 cup TJ's Maple Syrup
1/4 cup TJ's Extra Virgin California Estate Olive Oil
1/4 teaspoon TJ's Ground Black Pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon TJ's Sea Salt, or to taste
1 package TJ's Cranberries &/or TJ's Fresh Pomegranate Seeds, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°. Trim the stalk down to the fullest, best looking part. Trim sprouts off one side to make a flat bottom. Trim any "tough" leaves from the sprouts. Rinse stalk and trimmed sprouts well in fresh water. Wrap damp stalk in cling wrap and heat in the microwave for 4-5 minutes.
Place the trimmed loose sprouts in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and microwave for 3 minutes.
Whisk maple syrup and olive oil together. Place stalk flat side down along with any loose sprouts on a roasting pan and pour the maple syrup mixture over. Use a pastry brush to mop the maple syrup onto all sides of the sprouts and stalk. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Place in oven and roast for about 45 minutes or until sprouts on stalk are fork tender and caramelize to a golden color.
To serve: Place stalk on a holiday platter, pour any syrup from roasting pan over and garnish with something bright and tart such as dried cranberries or fresh pomegranate seeds.
Link: Roasted Brussels Sprouts from Trader Joe's
Other messages in this thread:
- 29360. Any brilliant ideas for broccoli stems? I have quite a few of them, and I usually make soup, - Joe - 1:40am on 01/13/17 (37)
- Could you hide them in here - with some florets? Shaved broccoli parmesan salad [LINK] - Tess - 2:25am on 01/13/17
- If the stems are particularly long on a head of broccoli I like to stirfy diagonal slices [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 2:42am on 01/13/17
- If you have a spiralizer, "broodles" are pretty amazing! (more) - SallyBR - 2:45am on 01/13/17
- I saw "no soup", but not sure if you've tried this soup,maybe it's different from your usual [LINK] - MoNJ - 2:55pm on 01/13/17
- hmmm..I am thinking Dr. Seuss. Can you steam them, add seasonings, puree, add to eggs, scramble - barb_b - 3:26pm on 01/13/17
- Just happened on this as I was looking for something else--Pickled Broccoli Stems [LINK] - MoNJ - 5:20pm on 01/13/17
- Interesting! [NT] - Joe - 4:42am on 01/16/17
- The stems of broccoli is the most flavorful to me and my favorite - orchid - 6:35pm on 01/13/17
- same here with the coins and my favorite as well. Steamed preferred - pmassell_93 - 10:58pm on 01/13/17
- LOVE those Trader Joes brussels stalks when they're available but have - Pat-NoCal - 1:49am on 01/14/17
- I'm not sure my way is the best but what I did was split them - pmassell_93 - 6:48am on 01/15/17
- I want to try this. Thanks, Paul. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 5:02pm on 01/16/17
- Techinically, Brussels spouts and broccoli are the same species, (like Great Danes and Chihuahuas) - Joe - 3:32am on 01/14/17
- Try the stems coins steamed for Jacques. He just might like them better. - orchid - 5:37pm on 01/14/17
- Thanks, I may try them for myself. The French are quite resolue in their dislikes, lol! [NT] - Joe - 4:26am on 01/16/17
- I had no clue about the brussel stalks. I look forward to learning how you cook them. [NT] - orchid - 5:39pm on 01/14/17
- You don't cook the stalks, per se. The brussels sprouts are sold on the stalk - Charley - 5:57pm on 01/15/17
- Yes Charley, we are talking about eating the stalks if you read - orchid - 6:59pm on 01/15/17
- I could be wrong but I believe the directions for cooking the sprouts with - Janet in NC - 9:50pm on 01/15/17
- Coould be. As I said, that's a big stalk!! ;o) - Charley - 12:18pm on 01/16/17
- This might be the recipe - cooked on the stalk, they look beautiful! [LINK] - LisainLA - 9:44pm on 01/16/17
- Yes, Orchid, I realize we are talking about broccoli stalks, but brussels sprouts stalks - Charley - 12:17pm on 01/16/17
- Charley, please read what everyone has said here. Paul talked about - orchid - 2:27pm on 01/16/17
- Thank you all--these are great ideas. [NT] - Joe - 7:33pm on 01/13/17
- Stir fry. Baby water chestnuts are green. I think, maybe, I'm sticking with that. [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 3:23pm on 01/14/17
- Thanks Michael but the only reason I would try that is to get a picture of his face when he realizes - Joe - 4:28am on 01/16/17
- LOL!!! [NT] - LisainLA - 4:03am on 01/17/17
- Lisa, as I've said before, I can always count on you. [NT] - Joe - 6:15am on 01/17/17
- Agreed! [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 11:41am on 01/17/17
- You could make Molly Katzen's *Enchanted Broccoli Forest Casserole* but yours would have to be... [LINK] - MarilynFL - 5:35pm on 01/14/17
- I love the book! I've never tried the title recipe. This might actually fool him. [NT] - Joe - 4:27am on 01/16/17
- Joe, make Caponata- it is all-forgiving as to the veggies added - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:00pm on 01/14/17
- Hmmm... Very creative Cathy, I would not have thought of adding broccoli to caponata. Great idea [NT] - barb_b - 5:31pm on 01/15/17
- That's a thought! The recipe I use calls for celery,which could be replaced.. [NT] - Joe - 4:29am on 01/16/17
- Thanks again everyone! And here's one I found on my own: Broccoli Stem and Red Pepper Slaw [LINK] - Joe - 4:36am on 01/16/17
- This Potato Broccoli Soup sounds good. [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 5:00pm on 01/16/17
- this does sound good. I'd be tempted to use some milk in place of the water, - Joe - 8:35pm on 01/16/17