Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I always thought it had to be cold? You want the cold custard versus the hard shell of the sugar
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29371 at 11:57 am on Jan 20, 2017
Here is some text that "I think" was copied from Cooks Illustrated. The author writes likes this was a first attempt, yet her details are pretty specific. I've made the CI version before and it's just heavy cream and egg yolks, so I think this is it.
When the ramekins are cool enough to handle, take them out of the pan and place on the wire rack. Allow to cool completely, about 2 hours. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and cover the baking sheet tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or up to 4 days.
Remove the plastic wrap. If any condensation collected on the custards, gently use a paper towel to soak it up. Sprinkle each dish with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of turbinado sugar. Use a kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes (donít let them sit longer than that) to re-chill before serving.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
Other messages in this thread:
- 29371. How far in advance can I caramelize the sugar on Creme Brulee before - oli - 11:10am on 01/18/17 (7)
- I've done it several hours earlier.... - SallyBR - 11:27am on 01/18/17
- Part of the joy of creme brulee for me is the contrast between the hot/warm crunch of the topping - KarenNoCA - 11:31am on 01/18/17
- You can do ahead, but like Karen I love the contrast of the hot crunchy top and cool custard. [NT] - LisainLA - 12:00am on 01/19/17
- How soon after it comes out of the oven, do you cararmelize? [NT] - oli - 11:40am on 01/20/17
- I always thought it had to be cold? You want the cold custard versus the hard shell of the sugar - MarilynFL - 11:57am on 01/20/17
- That's how I have always done mine, so it caught my attention to have the contrast - oli - 1:54pm on 01/20/17
- I thoroughly chill before caramelizing the sugar topping. - LisainLA - 8:11pm on 01/20/17