Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
ah, then you can make this up: Chicken Shawarma
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29378 at 5:45 pm on Jan 22, 2017
...now that you know where everything is.
I just made this yesterday with a few boneless/skinless thighs USING A TOASTER OVEN! and it still turned out well. It's from Soframiz by Sortun & Kilpatrick
Shawarma Spice Mix
2 TBL freshly ground black pepper
1 TBL freshly ground white pepper
1 TBL ground allspice *** (this is how much I used. The recipe calls for 2 TBL but that amount scares me.) (Note to self: stop admitting online that certain spices intimidate self.)
1/2 TBL cinnamon
1/2 TBL cumin
1/2 TBL coriander
1/2 TBL nutmeg
1/4 C plain yogurt
1 TBL Shawarma spice mix
2 TBL olive oil
2 TBL fresh lemon juice
1/2 TBL kosher salt
Marinate 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs for 1 hour (minimum) or up to 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken in heavy roasting pan and add 1/2 C of water. Roast 40-45 minutes and let sit for 10 minutes.
Marilyn's Notes: I only had 3 thighs (1.2 pounds total) and a tiny toaster oven, so I covered the small tray with foil and only drizzled about 3 TBL of water. Set the timer for 30 minutes, but the chicken was 190 degrees internal within that short amount of time. However, it was still very moist. oh...and I only had sweetened yogurt, so I used 2 TBL of sour cream and 2 TBL of Greek Gods honey yogurt. I also tipped all the juices into a small pan afterward and brought it to a boil. The chicken was quite delicious on pita bread with a drizzle of the marinating sauce, hummus and greens.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29378. I feel so happy! I cleaned / decluttered / alphabetized my spice cabinet. [NT] - barb_b - 12:17am on 01/22/17 (5)
- I applaud you, but at the same time I have to laugh because it reminds me of a favorite quote from - Joe - 2:45am on 01/22/17
- ha!! [NT] - barb_b - 4:26pm on 01/22/17
- ah, then you can make this up: Chicken Shawarma - MarilynFL - 5:45pm on 01/22/17
- Here is the full recipe with yufka dough (tortilla-like bread) & garlic sauce (toum) [LINK] - MarilynFL - 5:48pm on 01/22/17
- As one who is an organizer and has to live that way or my brain does not work - KarenNoCA - 12:16am on 01/23/17