Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
You could try picking less yellow lemons (like less ripe). . .
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #29413 at 5:30 pm on Feb 7, 2017
I'd try this first. Pick the lemons with the greenish tips, or skin that is less brilliant yellow, perhaps with a slight greenish tint. Firm, hard lemons, lightly colored, will be more sour than softer, more brightly colored lemons.
Save some of the lemon juice to squeeze over/sprinkle on your piccata at the last minute before serving?
You could also pick up some citric acid (AKA "sour salt") and add a pinch to your lemon juice before you put it into the piccata, if the above does not work.
Oil, fat or butter will reduce the apparent sourness of something tart. Salt will reduce the apparent sourness also.
Maybe the restaurant is just using more lemon juice in their recipe than what is in recipes you might be using? I guess they are probably just squeezing it in, not measuring it, but one person's squeeze is another persons gushing pour!
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 29413. ISO lemon advice. Everything I make seems so wimpy. Need that intense lemon - cheezz - 4:54pm on 02/07/17 (11)
- You could try picking less yellow lemons (like less ripe). . . - mistral - 5:30pm on 02/07/17
- Or adding powdered lemon (TrueLemon) and the zest of fresh. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 5:50pm on 02/07/17
- Not sure how you're creating the sauce, but this is quite satisfyingly lemony. - MoNJ - 7:28pm on 02/07/17
- So just an hour ago I tried my hand at baked poppyseed lemon doughnuts - deb-in-MI - 7:50pm on 02/07/17
- What kind of lemons are you using? Try Meyers. - MariaDNoCA - 10:32pm on 02/07/17
- Meyers are not a true lemon but a cross between a standard lemon and mandarin orange - KarenNoCA - 12:06am on 02/08/17
- I mentioned to try Myers because the zest seems oilier, and the flavor more intense - MariaDNoCA - 2:43am on 02/08/17
- For example: I baked a yeasted breakfast loaf yesterday...4 Tbl lemon zest plus - cheezz - 7:43am on 02/08/17
- cheezz, just to cover all bases, is EVERYONE experiencing the same lack of tartness? - MarilynFL - 4:58pm on 02/08/17
- Mistral - I can't return PMs but wanted to thank you for all the info! - cheezz - 6:49am on 02/16/17
- Cathy Z had solved this problem. - Richard in Cincy - 7:32am on 03/04/17