Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Not one I tried, but it sure looks good! REC: Root Cellar Soup with Ham
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #29414 at 7:51 pm on Feb 7, 2017
* Exported from MasterCook *
Root Cellar Soup With Ham
Recipe By :Bon Appetit, Dec. '94
Serving Size : 8
Categories : Soups & Stews
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Pound Smoked Ham -- cut in 1/4" cubes
3 Large Carrots -- chopped
1 1/2 Cups Leeks, White & Pale Green Parts Only -- chopped
1/2 Medium Onion -- chopped
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
5 Cups Canned Low-Salt Chicken Broth -- or more
3 Medium Turnips, Peeled -- chopped
Fresh Parsley Leaves -- optional
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add ham; saute until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer ham to bowl. Add carrots, leeks, onion, thyme and bay leaves to saucepan. Cover; cook until onion and leek are translucent, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 5 cups broth and turnips; bring to simmer. Cover partially and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Puree soup in batches in blender. Return to same saucepan. Stir in ham.
Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more broth if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with parsley leaves.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 65 Calories; 6g Fat (77.3% calories from fat); trace Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 68mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Every good dish deserves a good pot.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29414. Turnip recipes! Every quarter at our community garden we have a cooking class, - Joe - 3:13pm on 02/07/17 (13)
- Wait... I have another... Been on my list for years [NT] - barb_b - 4:25pm on 02/07/17
- Not one I tried, but it sure looks good! REC: Root Cellar Soup with Ham - judy-mass - 7:51pm on 02/07/17
- Found it!!! it was from our friend Steve..... Rec: Roasted-Beet & Goat-Cheese Terrine with [LINK] - barb_b - 8:08am on 02/08/17
- You know... I really need coffee... I had beets on my mind, not turnips. Well, now you have a - barb_b - 8:13am on 02/08/17
- ~hands barb an extra large mug of coffee~ Thanks for the reminder of this recipe. I miss Steve! [NT] - LisainLA - 10:08am on 02/09/17
- Beets is cool! I have had this recipe on my radar too, and not gotten around to it. - Joe - 12:03am on 02/10/17
- I have made this--it's really good! [NT] - MoNJ - 11:20am on 02/09/17
- Thanks Joe! I rarely cook with turnips, and they are usually roasted or in a stew, [NT] - LisainLA - 10:09am on 02/09/17