Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Krautsalat mit Speck (Bavarian Style White Cabbage Salad with Bacon)
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29420 at 11:16 pm on Feb 9, 2017
I thought sure I had posted this one but I couldn't find it. This is the Bavarian salad you'll be served with a lot of meals in Munich.
Bavarian Style White Cabbage Salad with Bacon
1 medium head of cabbage
100 ml beef broth
6 tbls. wine vinegar
6 tbls. sunflower oil
1 tbls. caraway seeds
1 tbls. sugar
125 g. bacon
Wash, core and finely shred the cabbage. Dice the onion. Add to a large bowl. Generously salt the vegetables, then toss to coat and knead by hand to work the salt into the cabbage and start the brining process. Let cabbage sit for 1 hour.
Pour the cabbage into a colander to toss and drain away the excess brine. Return to the bowl.
Pour the hot broth over the cabbage. Make a dressing with the vinegar, oil, sugar, caraway, and pepper. Stir into the cabbage and mix well.
Allow the salad to sit for 1 hour to marinate before serving. In the meantime, dice the bacon and roast or fry it until crispy.
Just before serving, stir into the salad.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29420. Bavarian Sauerbraten Dinner for Cathy [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 10:45pm on 02/09/17 (23)
- Sauerbraten [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 10:46pm on 02/09/17
- I have most all ingredients needed - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:53am on 02/10/17
- Cathy, your pickling spice will work beautifully. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 1:47pm on 02/10/17
- Serviettenknödel'n (Fancy Bavarian Dumplings) [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 10:48pm on 02/09/17
- You reposted the sauerbraten recipe instead of the knodel. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:57am on 02/10/17
- Oops... - Richard in Cincy - 1:40pm on 02/10/17
- Glühwein-Rotkohl (Braised Red Cabbage in Mulled Wine Sauce--also called Christmas Red Cabbage.) [NT] [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 10:49pm on 02/09/17
- You'd better bring the mulled wine spices with you - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:59am on 02/10/17
- OK, I have a... - Richard in Cincy - 1:43pm on 02/10/17
- Sounds lovely if it works. By the way you can bring dried spices into Hawaii. - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:33pm on 02/11/17
- OK, I'll bring a bag of the Glühwein spice! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:43pm on 02/11/17
- Krautsalat mit Speck (Bavarian Style White Cabbage Salad with Bacon) - Richard in Cincy - 11:16pm on 02/09/17
- We're good here- can find all this on the island [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:59am on 02/10/17
- Tim is still mulling over dessert, but I think if we time the... - Richard in Cincy - 1:50pm on 02/10/17
- Well, if you invited Queenie from *Fantastic Beasts...* she could whip one up in seconds. [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:42pm on 02/10/17
- Looks wonderful! Printed everything...thank you! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 9:35am on 02/11/17
- Oh my, what a meal! Looking forward to photos. :-) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 10:06am on 02/11/17
- Wouldn't it be fun if all the prep and then the meal was streamed - orchid - 10:42am on 02/11/17
- Nice idea, Orchid. Cathy's kitchen is so spacious, I can just picture - Pat-NoCal - 10:54am on 02/11/17
- Oh yeah, to be a fly on the wall. That's what I'm sayin'... :0) [NT] - orchid - 11:43am on 02/11/17
- Any of you who can get here is/are welcome to join in. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:34pm on 02/11/17
- It will be glorious! This is just 1 day among many-a real cooking vacation in a kitchen wonderland! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:45pm on 02/11/17
- Really outstanding suggestion! [NT] - colleenmomof2 - 12:31pm on 02/12/17