Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This brought back a flashback of the women cooks at Rancho de Chimayo. Their
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29437 at 9:47 am on Feb 16, 2017
batter for chile Relleno was very airy (whipped egg whites) but THIS was the image I remember: they would take a stuffed chili, coat it with batter, lay it lengthwise in the flat palm of their hand and then SLOWLY lower their hand until it was a mere 2 inches above a vat of HOT oil. Then they would rotate their hand over and let the battered relleno gently slip (not drop!) into the hot oil.
I was simply AWED at the bravery of bare flesh that close to boiling oil. Yet these grandmotherly-looking women did it over and over and over again.
They were some of the best rellenos I've ever eaten.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
Other messages in this thread:
- 29437. REC: Diana Kennedy's Chiles Rellenos. I've been enjoying my earth oven for baking bread lately [LINK] - Joe - 2:24pm on 02/14/17 (12)
- This is how I remember a Mexican neighbor once making them for me. . . - mistral - 5:37pm on 02/14/17
- A lovely memory. I'm curious, were they stuffed with cheese or picadillo? - Joe - 6:42pm on 02/14/17
- Joe, thanks for sharing this. My mom and dad made chile rellanos the same way as your mom - - LisainLA - 8:48pm on 02/14/17
- My mom went crazy when she married my dad and moved to California. She loved Mexican food - Joe - 10:46pm on 02/14/17
- When our kids were little, we used to go to Tia Maria's. It was somewhere along the CA coastline - KarenNoCA - 12:19pm on 02/15/17
- Mexican food was a staple in our CA house! We had enchiladas for Christmas every year - MariaDNoCA - 12:50am on 02/17/17
- Maria - so sad about your auntie. I feel the same about my mom, not sure she would be able - LisainLA - 7:36pm on 02/18/17
- What a great food and family memory! We used to go to a place in Long Beach right off - LisainLA - 7:34pm on 02/18/17
- This brought back a flashback of the women cooks at Rancho de Chimayo. Their - MarilynFL - 9:47am on 02/16/17
- I'm not that brave yet! I do, however, remember a technique a friend used years ago. - Joe - 9:49pm on 02/16/17
- Cool technique, thanks Joe. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:30pm on 02/17/17
- This is the method my mom and dad used when frying the rellanos, they used this really old beat up - LisainLA - 7:29pm on 02/18/17