Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This brought back a flashback of the women cooks at Rancho de Chimayo. Their
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29437 at 2:47 pm on Feb 16, 2017
batter for chile Relleno was very airy (whipped egg whites) but THIS was the image I remember: they would take a stuffed chili, coat it with batter, lay it lengthwise in the flat palm of their hand and then SLOWLY lower their hand until it was a mere 2 inches above a vat of HOT oil. Then they would rotate their hand over and let the battered relleno gently slip (not drop!) into the hot oil.
I was simply AWED at the bravery of bare flesh that close to boiling oil. Yet these grandmotherly-looking women did it over and over and over again.
They were some of the best rellenos I've ever eaten.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29437. REC: Diana Kennedy's Chiles Rellenos. I've been enjoying my earth oven for baking bread lately [LINK] - Joe - 7:24pm on 02/14/17 (19)
- This is how I remember a Mexican neighbor once making them for me. . . - mistral - 10:37pm on 02/14/17
- A lovely memory. I'm curious, were they stuffed with cheese or picadillo? - Joe - 11:42pm on 02/14/17
- Joe, thanks for sharing this. My mom and dad made chile rellanos the same way as your mom - - LisainLA - 1:48am on 02/15/17
- My mom went crazy when she married my dad and moved to California. She loved Mexican food - Joe - 3:46am on 02/15/17
- When our kids were little, we used to go to Tia Maria's. It was somewhere along the CA coastline - KarenNoCA - 5:19pm on 02/15/17
- Mexican food was a staple in our CA house! We had enchiladas for Christmas every year - MariaDNoCA - 5:50am on 02/17/17
- Maria - so sad about your auntie. I feel the same about my mom, not sure she would be able - LisainLA - 12:36am on 02/19/17
- What a great food and family memory! We used to go to a place in Long Beach right off - LisainLA - 12:34am on 02/19/17
- This brought back a flashback of the women cooks at Rancho de Chimayo. Their - MarilynFL - 2:47pm on 02/16/17
- I'm not that brave yet! I do, however, remember a technique a friend used years ago. - Joe - 2:49am on 02/17/17
- Cool technique, thanks Joe. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 2:30am on 02/18/17
- This is the method my mom and dad used when frying the rellanos, they used this really old beat up - LisainLA - 12:29am on 02/19/17
- Roast some poblanos in your super cool oven (John and I are jealous - orchid - 5:56pm on 02/19/17
- I have another recipe, Chiles en Nogada, which is just that, served cold, with a cream/nut sauce [LINK] - Joe - 7:34pm on 02/19/17
- We would if we didn't live in this *%^(@# condo now! ...*pouting* [NT] - orchid - 8:59pm on 02/19/17
- Bummer. Sorry. [NT] - Joe - 10:55pm on 02/19/17
- I'm with you, Orchid, I realllly want one of Joe's oven in my back yard to turn out - Pat-NoCal - 1:40am on 02/20/17