Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Mexican food was a staple in our CA house! We had enchiladas for Christmas every year
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #29437 at 12:50 am on Feb 17, 2017
From my southern mom and Iowan dad. And turkey enchiladas are a must for a leftover Thanksgiving, it's the best part of Thanksgiving actually for most of us.
In fact, and this is kind of sad, My mom said she fully realized my aunt had dementia when my aunt called her to ask her what those round things were and what was she supposed to do with them? And they were tortillas, and my mom told me my aunt was the one that taught her how to make enchiladas.
When my grandparents came to visit from Iowa, I still remember they were freaked out by artichokes and avocados. Us kids thought they were crazy and were very happy there was more for us!
The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way. - MTwain
Other messages in this thread:
- 29437. REC: Diana Kennedy's Chiles Rellenos. I've been enjoying my earth oven for baking bread lately [LINK] - Joe - 2:24pm on 02/14/17 (19)
- This is how I remember a Mexican neighbor once making them for me. . . - mistral - 5:37pm on 02/14/17
- A lovely memory. I'm curious, were they stuffed with cheese or picadillo? - Joe - 6:42pm on 02/14/17
- Joe, thanks for sharing this. My mom and dad made chile rellanos the same way as your mom - - LisainLA - 8:48pm on 02/14/17
- My mom went crazy when she married my dad and moved to California. She loved Mexican food - Joe - 10:46pm on 02/14/17
- When our kids were little, we used to go to Tia Maria's. It was somewhere along the CA coastline - KarenNoCA - 12:19pm on 02/15/17
- Mexican food was a staple in our CA house! We had enchiladas for Christmas every year - MariaDNoCA - 12:50am on 02/17/17
- Maria - so sad about your auntie. I feel the same about my mom, not sure she would be able - LisainLA - 7:36pm on 02/18/17
- What a great food and family memory! We used to go to a place in Long Beach right off - LisainLA - 7:34pm on 02/18/17
- This brought back a flashback of the women cooks at Rancho de Chimayo. Their - MarilynFL - 9:47am on 02/16/17
- I'm not that brave yet! I do, however, remember a technique a friend used years ago. - Joe - 9:49pm on 02/16/17
- Cool technique, thanks Joe. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:30pm on 02/17/17
- This is the method my mom and dad used when frying the rellanos, they used this really old beat up - LisainLA - 7:29pm on 02/18/17
- Roast some poblanos in your super cool oven (John and I are jealous - orchid - 12:56pm on 02/19/17
- I have another recipe, Chiles en Nogada, which is just that, served cold, with a cream/nut sauce [LINK] - Joe - 2:34pm on 02/19/17
- We would if we didn't live in this *%^(@# condo now! ...*pouting* [NT] - orchid - 3:59pm on 02/19/17
- Bummer. Sorry. [NT] - Joe - 5:55pm on 02/19/17
- I'm with you, Orchid, I realllly want one of Joe's oven in my back yard to turn out - Pat-NoCal - 8:40pm on 02/19/17