Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Please do. I tried marmalade this weekend and it was a tasteful but failed mess...unless
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29480 at 1:49 pm on Mar 13, 2017
it actually firms up--POSSIBLY WITHIN 2 WEEKS ACCORDING TO SURE-JELL.
Apparently, Hope Springs Eternal at the Sure-Jell factory.
I tried making it work with my Ball Freezer instant pectin stuff and it was so liquid-y it was pathetic. So I went and bought a package of Sure-Jell and added more Cara-Cara oranges, more sugar, more lemon and cooked for 10 minutes. Dang if this stuff doesn't taste DELICIOUS, but it's thin. This however, didn't stop me from smearing it on thick Tuscan toast this morning. I boiled my peels 3 times and added them to the fresh pulp.
I think it would taste amazing atop a key lime pie or an almond cake.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
Other messages in this thread:
- 29480. Cheater Marmalade - Sylvia - 12:44pm on 03/13/17 (15)
- I see they have Seville oranges referred to as a marmalade mix? Does this included the orange peel? [NT] - KarenNoCA - 1:42pm on 03/13/17
- Karen, the can contains concentrated Seville oranges and peel. [NT] - Sylvia - 2:24pm on 03/13/17
- Please do. I tried marmalade this weekend and it was a tasteful but failed mess...unless - MarilynFL - 1:49pm on 03/13/17
- I think there is one mantra about making jam and jelly--you can't double the - Charley - 4:02pm on 03/13/17
- I'm gonna try boiling the contents of one jar to a higher temperature. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:42am on 03/14/17
- --And the more wide the pan, the quicker your jelly/jam will come to jell point/jell temp. . . - mistral - 3:47pm on 03/14/17
- well, THAT wasn't a good idea. Besides managing to get sticky sugary syrup EVERYWHERE: floor, carpet - MarilynFL - 12:51pm on 03/18/17
- Great article on setting points for marmalade. [LINK] - Lana in FL - 8:57pm on 03/13/17
- That sounds good. I have used ginger marmalade (purchased, but now I'm - Charley - 6:22am on 03/14/17
- Lana, your link is PERFECT! Here's my version described to a tee: - MarilynFL - 8:39am on 03/14/17
- I know! Too funny! - Lana in FL - 11:35pm on 03/14/17
- I love a food project! Looking forward to your results! Love how hubby tracked the cans down! [NT] - barb_b - 9:35pm on 03/14/17
- Cheater Marmalade is a Success - Sylvia - 12:19pm on 03/15/17
- Sylvia, in my research, I found several British recipes that heated the muscovado sugar - MarilynFL - 10:41am on 03/16/17
- Marilyn, I just used ordinary white sugar and dumped it into the pot along with the hot water - Sylvia - 2:04pm on 03/16/17