Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Pan-Roasted Chicken with Olives and Herbs, simple but elegant. Pie got pushed to today. ;-)
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #29484 at 10:42 am on Mar 15, 2017
Pan-Roasted Chicken with Olives and Herbs
One 4-lb. chicken, cut into eight pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium lemon
1 Tbs. unsalted butter; more as needed
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
5 medium shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
3/4 cup jarred brined olives, rinsed, pitted, and halved (Pat's note: I used a combination of Kalamata and green olives)
8 fresh sage leaves
6 small fresh or 3 dried bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp. chopped
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F.
Season the chicken generously on all sides with salt and pepper.
Cut the ends off the lemon, stand it on one end, and slice off the peel and the bitter white pith to expose the flesh. Cut the lemon segments from the membranes, letting them drop into a small bowl. Cut each segment crosswise into 4 pieces.
Heat the butter and the oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, cook the chicken skin side down until golden-brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of the fat. Add the shallots, olives, sage, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and lemon segments, and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan skin side up and transfer to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 165°F, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve, sprinkled with the chopped thyme.
Pat’s note: Delish. Would make again. As described, simple but elegant. Chose to serve with a riff on Ina’s Spaghetti Aglio E Olio http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/spaghetti-aglio-e-olio-recipe/ with garlic, red pepper flakes and Parmesan using fresh basil instead of parsley, and oven roasted broccoli. Next time I might serve with some steamed broccoli with a spritz of lemon juice in place of the oven roasted broccoli, and possibly top the chicken with a sprinkle of feta cheese before serving.
Link: Pan-Roasted Chicken with Olives and Herbs
Other messages in this thread:
- 29484. Rec: Pan-Roasted Chicken with Olives and Herbs, simple but elegant. Pie got pushed to today. ;-) [LINK] [IMAGE] - Pat-NoCal - 10:42am on 03/15/17 (6)
- Probably will make this in the next couple days. Thanks Pat [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 11:28am on 03/15/17
- You betcha. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:56pm on 03/15/17
- Beautiful dish! I love that it is served over the olive oil spaghetti, nice touch. [NT] - KarenNoCA - 1:03pm on 03/15/17
- I'm making up now for all the skinless chicken I ate through my dieting years. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:41pm on 03/15/17
- Thank you. - Pat-NoCal - 9:40pm on 03/15/17
- Wow that looks good! Thx for posting! [NT] - barb_b - 8:00pm on 03/17/17