Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Stewed Green Beans and Tomatoes (via Thailand)
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29485 at 2:57 pm on Mar 15, 2017
Before yesterday, I would have said there is no universe in which I would make a dish like this and actually enjoy it. But I did. And I did.
I grew up in a household where green beans came out of a can and truth be told, I had liver spots before I ever had fresh green beans. My crock pot is used solely for almond milk steel-cut oats and cooking ANY vegetable for 7 hours seemed...obscene.
And yet this dish, a crockpot full of fresh green bean and tomatoes, spiced up with Thai red curry paste and tempered with creamy coconut milk, changed all of those preconceptions. Somehow, the green beans aren't overcooked and the dish is served over rice then topped off with crunchy peanuts, fresh cilantro, and lime juice.
As a final note, I invoked Yotam and topped it off with a fried egg to make it feel more like a meal-meal.
It was delicious and I want more. Like NOW! RIGHT NOW.
2 C diced fresh tomatoes (~ 3 medium)
1 C coconut milk
2 TBL red curry paste
1 TBL finely chopped fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
1 TBL fresh lime juice
1/3 C roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
2 TBL fresh cilantro
Whisk first 5 ingredients together in a 6 QT slow cooker. Add green beans and cook LOW for 7 hours, stirring once after 3.5 hours.
Stir in lime juice and serve over hot rice, adding toppings.
Marilyn's Notes: Used canned diced tomatoes. I only have a 1.5 QT crock pot here in FL, but HALF the recipe fit in fine. I also cut the red curry paste down to 1/2 TBL and was happy with that, although it could go a little hotter.
Another fine one from Southern Living magazine.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29485. Stewed Green Beans and Tomatoes (via Thailand) [LINK] - MarilynFL - 2:57pm on 03/15/17 (9)
- Yum!! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 4:51pm on 03/15/17
- Are you getting fresh garden tomatoes in FL now, or did the supermarket ones work ok here? [NT] - KarenNoCA - 5:11pm on 03/15/17
- Used Hunt's Diced in the can. A bit *too* juicy tomato taste so I'd love to try - MarilynFL - 5:37pm on 03/15/17
- So, how old are you? I am 76 and never made a dish like this. And never used an egg in a dish like - KarenNoCA - 11:20pm on 03/15/17
- Turned 64 a few weeks ago. Reheated the beans & rice, zapped an egg - MarilynFL - 10:59am on 03/16/17
- Happy belated birthday, Marilyn! I turned 67 on 3/14/2017. [NT] - wigs - 12:55pm on 03/16/17
- Happy Birthday, Pi-Baby! [NT] - MarilynFL - 2:35pm on 03/16/17
- Happy Birthday Ladies! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 3:40pm on 03/16/17
- Happy B-day! Hope you both enjoyed your special day!! [NT] - barb_b - 4:31pm on 03/17/17