Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Sylvia, in my research, I found several British recipes that heated the muscovado sugar
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #29480 at 10:41 am on Mar 16, 2017
before adding it to the fruit. I wondered if that gave the "burnt" taste that I don't like from most purchased marmalades. I had always assumed it was because the pith was left on, while this recent version I made had no pith.
I very happy you're flush with marmalade now. I just added a small jar to sliced strawberries instead of sugar. Yummy with Richard's key lime dip.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
Other messages in this thread:
- 29480. Cheater Marmalade - Sylvia - 12:44pm on 03/13/17 (15)
- I see they have Seville oranges referred to as a marmalade mix? Does this included the orange peel? [NT] - KarenNoCA - 1:42pm on 03/13/17
- Karen, the can contains concentrated Seville oranges and peel. [NT] - Sylvia - 2:24pm on 03/13/17
- Please do. I tried marmalade this weekend and it was a tasteful but failed mess...unless - MarilynFL - 1:49pm on 03/13/17
- I think there is one mantra about making jam and jelly--you can't double the - Charley - 4:02pm on 03/13/17
- I'm gonna try boiling the contents of one jar to a higher temperature. [NT] - MarilynFL - 8:42am on 03/14/17
- --And the more wide the pan, the quicker your jelly/jam will come to jell point/jell temp. . . - mistral - 3:47pm on 03/14/17
- well, THAT wasn't a good idea. Besides managing to get sticky sugary syrup EVERYWHERE: floor, carpet - MarilynFL - 12:51pm on 03/18/17
- Great article on setting points for marmalade. [LINK] - Lana in FL - 8:57pm on 03/13/17
- That sounds good. I have used ginger marmalade (purchased, but now I'm - Charley - 6:22am on 03/14/17
- Lana, your link is PERFECT! Here's my version described to a tee: - MarilynFL - 8:39am on 03/14/17
- I know! Too funny! - Lana in FL - 11:35pm on 03/14/17
- I love a food project! Looking forward to your results! Love how hubby tracked the cans down! [NT] - barb_b - 9:35pm on 03/14/17
- Cheater Marmalade is a Success - Sylvia - 12:19pm on 03/15/17
- Sylvia, in my research, I found several British recipes that heated the muscovado sugar - MarilynFL - 10:41am on 03/16/17
- Marilyn, I just used ordinary white sugar and dumped it into the pot along with the hot water - Sylvia - 2:04pm on 03/16/17