Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
Anna, sometimes corned beef is that way but......
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #29492 at 2:50 pm on Mar 18, 2017
My thought is that you should have put the crockpot on low immediately and let it go for at least 6 hours then cranked up to medium for another hour. By starting on high then going to medium maybe it "seized" the meat up.
Have you thought of making hash or corned beef "burger" patties out of your leftover corned beef?
Sometimes no matter how reputable the source, you can get a tough piece of meat. Haven't you ever paid big bucks for, say, a great-looking steak or standing rib roast only to find after it is cooked that it is tough as can be? Boy, I have! Corned beef too. Just because it is corned is not a guarantee.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29492. Corned beef fail - where did I go wrong? - Anna_X - 2:17am on 03/18/17 (13)
- If it never boiled, maybe your crockpot is off. Are you slicing it very thin across the grain-- [NT] - Charley - 7:06am on 03/18/17
- I was unclear. My crock pot gets too hot on high and would have boiled the meat. - Anna_X - 12:41pm on 03/18/17
- Anna, sometimes corned beef is that way but...... - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:50pm on 03/18/17
- The hour on high was just to start warming the pot. It never hit a simmer then. [NT] - Anna_X - 3:24pm on 03/18/17
- Just chopping it fine today. Next year, deli meat only! [NT] - Anna_X - 3:25pm on 03/18/17
- Medium could do it too, Anna. You said you started high then went to medium. - CathyZ from Kauai - 3:38pm on 03/18/17
- I appreciate your suggestion as I'm still figuring out meats at age 67! - Anna_X - 4:13pm on 03/18/17
- Yes, that is the knock on the "newer" units--they get 'way too hot and - Charley - 12:47pm on 03/19/17
- Don't you just HATE wasting a good piece of meat. It's like a crap shot with me...I never know - MarilynFL - 2:44pm on 03/18/17
- According to Cooks Country, they say corned beef needs long and slow, not boiled. [NT] - KarenNoCA - 3:13pm on 03/18/17
- I remember Cook's Illustrated testing crock pots. Most of the low end and standard... - Michael in Phoenix - 7:46pm on 03/18/17
- A few months ago, and after watching the reviews on the new stove top safe models - KarenNoCA - 10:44am on 03/19/17
- Sometimes, you get a bad piece of meat... - Richard in Cincy - 9:16pm on 03/20/17