Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
It's just part of the shoulder and good for anything a shoulder is--like pulled pork
Joined: Aug 15, 2007
Posted to Thread #29519 at 3:15 pm on Mar 28, 2017
which is what I often get them for.
Michael Chiarello has a good recipe for an herbed one. They don't slice as well as other parts of the shoulder so something that is "pulled" is better.
If you wanted to bone it out and cut into chunks/dice it would make a great chili or green chile pork dish. It is a tough piece of meat so requires braising, not roasting. But great flavor.
Other messages in this thread:
- 29519. what to do with pork "picnic" shoulder roast? - pmassell_93 - 2:39pm on 03/28/17 (18)
- I have never cooked one but I did look up to see exactly what it was and this site [LINK] - KarenNoCA - 3:08pm on 03/28/17
- It's just part of the shoulder and good for anything a shoulder is--like pulled pork - Charley - 3:15pm on 03/28/17
- yes those are the issues I faced - pmassell_93 - 3:46pm on 03/28/17
- You can do stuff in a regular roasting pan with no problem. - Charley - 4:42pm on 03/28/17
- OH, wait. You have the real hog skin on that picnic. Cut through it somewhere and lift it - Charley - 5:17pm on 03/28/17
- Bavarian Roasted Pork [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 4:17pm on 03/28/17
- I like that you cook the skin a bit before scoring it. I will try this thanks. [NT] - pmassell_93 - 4:42pm on 03/28/17
- Sauerbraten [NT] [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 4:17pm on 03/28/17
- Go to Cuba....Cuban Pork Roast, Fried Plaintains, Black Beans and rice. [NT] [LINK] - orchid - 5:06pm on 03/28/17
- I'd love to. One of my goals. [NT] - pmassell_93 - 7:49pm on 03/28/17
- This was marvelous: Debbie in GA's Twelve-hour Pork Shoulder Roast [LINK] - MarilynFL - 2:15pm on 03/29/17
- nice - on my list now. Thank you Marilyn [NT] - pmassell_93 - 5:09pm on 03/29/17
- Roast it whole, high heat (450º) for half an hour then. . . - mistral - 4:22pm on 03/29/17
- SO next time I'm gonna slow roast but yesterday on instict and with a bit of help here - pmassell_93 - 5:07pm on 03/29/17
- I should add one note on what I did yesterday. This is something that I also do when roasting turke - pmassell_93 - 5:16pm on 03/29/17
- You said the answer - Charley - 6:19pm on 03/29/17
- Maybe you get different pork than we get out here . . . - mistral - 8:06pm on 04/01/17
- Sorry, this should read: "turn the heat down to 350º and cook until 160º . . . " - mistral - 7:56pm on 04/01/17